Pontiac GTO Forum banner

Sport coupe (Post)

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  geeteeohguy 
#1 ·
I like GTOs. I prefer a Hardtop (17) and the Convertibles (67) are nice. But I don't understand why they made the Sports Coupe (07)? The only difference from the Hardtop appears to be the post. So why did they make this option?

#7 ·
Selling price wasn't that much cheaper on base equipped GTO optioned LeMans, Post Coupe to 2 door Hardtop, maybe $50 on identically equipped $3000 car. One also should note the previous '61,62, & 63 Tempest 2 doors & LeMans were all 2 door posts.

While they are totally different underneath, frame and drivetrain wise, styling wise, many previous Pontiac owners liked the traditional 2 door post appearance of the new '64's. My father-in-law owned a new '64 GTO Coupe 4spd. 35 years later, I picked up a clean '63 LeMans... same color. His choice didn't have anything to do with weight savings of 27-30 lbs, it fit the budget and dealer had it in stock. years later, for me, the '63 was ALL about styling and weight savings.

#9 ·
My take, having been around back then (as a car crazed kid) was that the older folks (WW2 generation and older) liked the tradition of the coupe styling with the substantial window post, and had little use for the ' new-fangled fancy' hardtops that 'rattled and leaked'. Our family knew quite a few of these people. They drove Studebaker Larks, Valiants, Olds F-85's, and the like. Me, I drooled over the neighbors '67 Fairlane GT or '64 Fury with the neat roofline that tapered at the bottom of the C-piller. That really impressed me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.