Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2006 6spd. 31,500 miles.

Recently I have noticed a new sound that to me could be the wheel bearings, but I would like to get some other opinions.

This occurs whether or not the car is in gear. Having the brakes on does not matter. It also happens when I am rolling forward or bacward. It does not happen all the time. The type of surface doesn't matter. Some times I hear it when I am in a turn, and it is faint enough that I can only hear it when the windows are down.

At first I thought my brake pads might have been wearing out. I took it in for a routine inspection and asked the dealer to check my brakes. They said my brakes were fine.

I didn't hear it again for a while. The other day I noticed it again. It is a high frequency squeal sounding like metal on metal which is why I initialy thought it might be the brake pads wearing down and the squealers on the pads were sounding off. (Not sure if pontiac put squealers on the pads or not.)

I am begining to think it might be the wheel bearings. Has anyone here had an issue with this before?

As a side note. I take my GTO to a local GM dealership where they sell corvettes and cadillacs. Lucas Chevrolet in Columbia Tn. Great service, prompt and professional. I bought my car new from Park's , also in Columbia Tn. Never buy anything from these people. Horrible service.

Thanks
Michael.

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
Typically a wheel bearing noise gets louder the faster you go. Also if you turn or the car left to right then right to left the noise will change depending on which way you turn, so that when you take the weight off the bad bearing the noise goes away or lessens. I would maybe check the backing plates to see if one is rubbing on the rotor?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts