Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 66 '389 that started a belt squeal ( Sounds like ) I have replaced belts ,taken belt off alternator, and started no squeal ,tested alternator its good , had pullys sandblasted no change . Taken off water pump , power steering belt and left alternator belt on no squeal ? put both belts back on and squelas like a pig anyone have a idea what to do next ????????

·
Registered
38 Posts
Any play in any of the bearings ? water pump/alt ps ? sometime when under load from the belt tension the accessories will cant slightly & make noise if the bearings or seal on water pump are worn, otherwise do you have proper tension on the belts ?? make sure all pulleys are inline of each other... a small misalignment will cause the squeal too...

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Is your alternator a chromed one? if it is, then I had a similar experience. Was getting a squealing belt sound every time started the car, changed belts, changed pulleys, nothing worked. Pulled alternator and had it tested. Shop said the chrome had flashed over and that was causing the squealing sounds. Replaced the alternator with a plain none chrome one and the squeal went away! Crazy as it sounds, but now no noise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts