Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, before I get started go ahead and tell me everything he needed to "blow my doors" because all I want to do is tell my side of these 80+ MPH kicks with this getto looking SRT-8 predator.

Drum roll from all GTO's. SRT-8's, 350Z's, Mustang GT's sit quietly until I'm finished K and try not to tell us everything that could have happened that didn't and why it should have if it had been anything other than what I'm going to say.....in relation to RWH, cubic inches, automatics, or just plain can't pull you pants up high enough to mash the gas...:lol:

Now that I have your attention, :willy: I know many that drive these HEMI's are drolling about now, :eek: especially those that have the fastest cars on the planet.

I'm getting on the Interstate and I notice this Chrysler and Mustang GT moving quite swiftly down one lane, the Mustang of course on the tail wing of this HEMI. I decide to go ahead and wind 3rd out to catch up with the GT and low and behold, I finally get to meet a real HEMI. I begin pulling up beside him in 3rd, steady, and suddenly without notice I hear a growl from what appeared to be 3" exhaust and could barely see the little red badge on the trunk. I hit the rev limiter to get a closer look as he was trying to leave both of us, bang 4th (traction control on of course) and I was able to get very close look at his rear end. (The Mustang ran out of steam at 100 and sorry to say could not keep up so I moved into position behind him seeing he wasn't going to wait for me to get even.) I stood on the gas, he obviously didn't want me close but so sorry and too bad, he could not pull away. After a few lane changes I gave him the same no chance, I was able to get in front of the word HEMI and noticed he had a small problem, he couldn't get around me. He made a few lane changes, we both were on the brakes at times and stomping the h&{{ out of it over and over, (we made several 80, 90 and 100 mile kicks.) For some reason I was in front again and again. Kind of like "the flag was still there?" I was impressed that the old goat could hold off this mean sounding SRT-8 and I have to say, it was a dead heat. (I wish mine sounded better)

The way this thing sounded, I thought I was going to get my butt kicked as stated by many that drive these things, I was not impressed that he couldn't gain any ground or pull on me.

Now, rip me a new one, I know those that don't own GTO's have a complete explanation as to why this rolling fridge couldn't do any better than that....:cool

·
Registered
254 Posts
Lawrenceville? I work in Lawrenceville. Live in Flowery Branch. I see alot of the Hemi chargers around. Not many SRT-8's. Good to hear you stood up against one.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ok, before I get started go ahead and tell me everything he needed to "blow my doors" because all I want to do is tell my side of these 80+ MPH kicks with this getto looking SRT-8 predator.

Drum roll from all GTO's. SRT-8's, 350Z's, Mustang GT's sit quietly until I'm finished K and try not to tell us everything that could have happened that didn't and why it should have if it had been anything other than what I'm going to say.....in relation to RWH, cubic inches, automatics, or just plain can't pull you pants up high enough to mash the gas...:lol:

Now that I have your attention, :willy: I know many that drive these HEMI's are drolling about now, :eek: especially those that have the fastest cars on the planet.

I'm getting on the Interstate and I notice this Chrysler and Mustang GT moving quite swiftly down one lane, the Mustang of course on the tail wing of this HEMI. I decide to go ahead and wind 3rd out to catch up with the GT and low and behold, I finally get to meet a real HEMI. I begin pulling up beside him in 3rd, steady, and suddenly without notice I hear a growl from what appeared to be 3" exhaust and could barely see the little red badge on the trunk. I hit the rev limiter to get a closer look as he was trying to leave both of us, bang 4th (traction control on of course) and I was able to get very close look at his rear end. (The Mustang ran out of steam at 100 and sorry to say could not keep up so I moved into position behind him seeing he wasn't going to wait for me to get even.) I stood on the gas, he obviously didn't want me close but so sorry and too bad, he could not pull away. After a few lane changes I gave him the same no chance, I was able to get in front of the word HEMI and noticed he had a small problem, he couldn't get around me. He made a few lane changes, we both were on the brakes at times and stomping the h&{{ out of it over and over, (we made several 80, 90 and 100 mile kicks.) For some reason I was in front again and again. Kind of like "the flag was still there?" I was impressed that the old goat could hold off this mean sounding SRT-8 and I have to say, it was a dead heat. (I wish mine sounded better)

The way this thing sounded, I thought I was going to get my butt kicked as stated by many that drive these things, I was not impressed that he couldn't gain any ground or pull on me.

Now, rip me a new one, I know those that don't own GTO's have a complete explanation as to why this rolling fridge couldn't do any better than that....:cool
I've never hit the limiter in my car, but from what I've heard, the fuel to the engine is shutoff. So if you shift to a higher gear, how quickly does the fuel begin to flow?

·
formerly NJGoat
1,844 Posts
I love it!!!

I've seen only one black SRT-8 on the road!!! Haven't had the chance to entertain yet. I've seen a few charger hemi's. No one ever wants to play with the goat! I've had several mustangs in front and behind me, no bites yet!!! The goat is just waitin' for it's first real kill!!!!:willy: By the way, great story!!! I adjusted my speed limiter to the highest level!! I don't want to get caught in that situation.!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Okay I've read the story. Was it the 5.7 HEMI or the 6.1 liter SRT-8? You speak of both. Based on you pulling away from it I'd guess it was the 5.7 HEMI because the SRT-8 top out around 170 mph.
I really couldn't tell, it wasn't a 300C, we didn't have enough road, I didn't see any ID badges except for the one in red on the right rear SRT8 wing thingy doodle. I was so caught up in getting on his door I hit the rev limiter twice. The way he held me off makes me think he must have been the 6.1, the 5.7 would have had to have been modded somewhat as I'm running with a Vengenance tune. WE couldn't gain any ground on either car. As far as pulling away, I should clarify this by saying I don't think I pulled away as I looked in my mirror and he was back there about 2 cars and stayed the same distance at all times as I speed shifted the traction control however he was never able to get into gluing position on my bumper like I did did him (driver error?.) When he had his two chances to "leave me behind" in single file, I was able to glue myself to his rear end but did not ever let off the gas (at all.) I didn't have the power to get around so I opped for the back seat, we were dead even....I'm going with the 6.1 with at least great exhaust, I got to hand it to him for trying. After he realized I wasn't a Mustang a minute and blow by GTO's are not allowed, he shut it down and wouldn't play anymore. :shutme

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've never hit the limiter in my car, but from what I've heard, the fuel to the engine is shutoff. So if you shift to a higher gear, how quickly does the fuel begin to flow?
Great question, it probably killed me, I got to get a light or something. My blood boils and I can't take my eyes off the road...

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lawrenceville? I work in Lawrenceville. Live in Flowery Branch. I see alot of the Hemi chargers around. Not many SRT-8's. Good to hear you stood up against one.
Thanks, if you ever see the grey one, be prepared, he's packing.:seeya:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Nice runs, they are about as close as two different cars can be in a race.

Not that it matters, but was it a Chrysler or a Dodge? The Dodge as the "wing thingy".

Sounds like he was letting it downshift instead of holding a gear, but that doesn't matter either.

But what about this "glue myself to rear end" stuff?

·
Registered
275 Posts
well i could run an jeep srt8 any time my girlfriend has one and is quick as hell!!!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Okay, first off, If I were in your shoes, I would look at purchasing an '04. You can always change it around and buy accessories later to make it the way you want it. You can always paint it as well later down the road. One thing I would check in on is insurance. I know insurance in New Jersey is out the roof, especially on these cars. But, other than that, I would follow your dreams. You explained coming home after work and messing with the goat, well, with an '04 it will give you plenty to mess with, hood, engine upgrades, paint, etc. Just my thoughts. Good Luck!!!
Wrong thread?? :eek:

·
formerly NJGoat
1,844 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
hope you don't mind me chiming in here, I have a srt8 300. I 'm 100% sure you were runnin with a 6.1....I raced many gto's at dragway 42 in ohio and it comes down to the driver. I got a lot of respect for your cars. I did get a diablo and when the weather breaks, I'll get a cmr tune....should end up around 470 crank....I hope to get into the 12'8's or so...right now my best is 13.2...

take care...steve

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
hope you don't mind me chiming in here, I have a srt8 300. I 'm 100% sure you were runnin with a 6.1....I raced many gto's at dragway 42 in ohio and it comes down to the driver. I got a lot of respect for your cars. I did get a diablo and when the weather breaks, I'll get a cmr tune....should end up around 470 crank....I hope to get into the 12'8's or so...right now my best is 13.2...

take care...steve
Thanks for the response Steve. I'm speaking for most of the members of this forum when I say that we all have respect for the SRT8 cars too. They handle great and are really fast. When you find out how heavy they are you just get that much more respect for them and what Mopar accomplished in tuning.

enjoy and nice car.

:party:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Okay I've read the story. Was it the 5.7 HEMI or the 6.1 liter SRT-8? You speak of both. Based on you pulling away from it I'd guess it was the 5.7 HEMI because the SRT-8 top out around 170 mph.

You do know that a unlimited GTO would do 170mph don't you?

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Nice borderline kill/hold your own. I went up against a 300 C SRT8 last summer on a tollway just northwest of Chicago. I had my girlfriend with me (now wife) AND my mom sitting in the back and was able to hang with it. I'd call it a dead heat. He was by himself and I had 2 extra bodies in the car. They are not fancy or showy at all, no hood scoops, no vents on the side, just a little red and whit bade smaller then a stick of gum on the back right end of the car.

Yes, they can run top end in the LOW 170s, but so can a GTO. When I did my top end runs, I had nothing more then the K&N 63 series CAI and the Diablosport handheld tuner. This was BEFORE I took it to the shop and got an honest to God, dyno tune. I'm sure she'd run higher then the 163 I've documented on a dozen or so differerent occasions and posted on YouTube, but now I work on dayshift and not 3rd shift and don't have the luxury of having the bayway to myself at 11:30 at night on the way to work...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts