Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was cruising on a split 4 lane road this afternoon when low and behold an SRT8 Charger came by in the left lane besdie me and shadowed me for about 1/8 mile. He finally got next to me and tapped the gas a few times to get my attention. I just looked over and threw a wave his way to let him know I knew was there. Well he got in front of me as a light turned red. He was lead car and there was traffic on the left so I couldn't line up side by side. When the light changed he nailed it and of course what could I do? I stayed right on his tail until the left lane opened up and slid to his left side and pulled about 3 cars on him before he let out. Caught him side by side at the next light and we talked for a few minutes before the light changed. Nice guy.
I had clicked TC off this time so when the light changed I spun through first and part of second but still managed to pulled another car on him before we let out. Alot of fun. Nice looking cars.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Nice Kill. Those are nice cars and I would have thought it would have been closer if you are both stock. You must have had the driver's edge.:cheers

·
Registered
377 Posts
Nice kill, could happen with the bolt-ons, but the cam ftw!

Was he stock or modded?

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Nice kill, the cam was over kill all you needed was the fuzzy dice mod and it still would have been game over.

·
Super Moderator
2,640 Posts
Nice Kill. Those are nice cars and I would have thought it would have been closer if you are both stock. You must have had the driver's edge.:cheers
He had the modded edge. 404/393 to the ground. If he pulled on the SRT-8 that hard I don't think the SRT-8 was modded. I haven't had the pleasure of running one of those yet. Good run.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Was cruising on a split 4 lane road this afternoon when low and behold an SRT8 Charger came by in the left lane besdie me and shadowed me for about 1/8 mile. He finally got next to me and tapped the gas a few times to get my attention. I just looked over and threw a wave his way to let him know I knew was there. Well he got in front of me as a light turned red. He was lead car and there was traffic on the left so I couldn't line up side by side. When the light changed he nailed it and of course what could I do? I stayed right on his tail until the left lane opened up and slid to his left side and pulled about 3 cars on him before he let out. Caught him side by side at the next light and we talked for a few minutes before the light changed. Nice guy.
I had clicked TC off this time so when the light changed I spun through first and part of second but still managed to pulled another car on him before we let out. Alot of fun. Nice looking cars.
Nice kill. Do you have any track timeslips with your mods?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice kill. Do you have any track timeslips with your mods?
Thanks guys. I think it was the fuzzy dice that gave me the edge! No he was bone stock but sharp looking car. No time slips yet but I do have a set of mounted drag radials in the basement. I've already started planning on the next phase on the car. I didn't build it for the track just for fun sunny days.
Looks like heads and a stronger cam down the road. The catch is if I go with that a tranny build and stall will be needed. I do need to get it to the track next spring to see what I can do. As is I would think low 12's if I can drive it right.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Great kill! I've had the pleasure of running a 300 C SRT8 a couple times and had similar results. The 300's and SRT8 Dodges (including the Magnum) are beautiful cars, but they cost way too much money and weigh too much for them to be as quick as you might guess. From everything I've seen from the Challengers so far, weight seems to be their problem as well. There's a guy down the road that bought the blue SRT8 Super Bee edition Charger that has been rotting away in the stealership's lot for about 8 months now. They wanted damn near 45 grand for it. I'd like to know what the dude actually paid for it...They may have been desperate with the year coming to an end and he may have gotten a good deal on it...

·
Registered
377 Posts
I stayed right on his tail until the left lane opened up and slid to his left side and pulled about 3 cars on him before he let out.
Great kill! I've had the pleasure of running a 300 C SRT8 a couple times and had similar results. The 300's and SRT8 Dodges (including the Magnum) are beautiful cars, but they cost way too much money and weigh too much for them to be as quick as you might guess. From everything I've seen from the Challengers so far, weight seems to be their problem as well. There's a guy down the road that bought the blue SRT8 Super Bee edition Charger that has been rotting away in the stealership's lot for about 8 months now. They wanted damn near 45 grand for it. I'd like to know what the dude actually paid for it...They may have been desperate with the year coming to an end and he may have gotten a good deal on it...
You have a cam too or are you just exaggerating?

They are too heavy and so are GTOs. It's a driver's race since they make more power and are heavier. The price is due to more content and still remain a performance bargain for what they offer.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You have a cam too or are you just exaggerating?
No! No mods! I'm bone stock!:D Hey I'm not knocking the cars. I like them.
4 doors and all!

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have a question. I ran into one the other day but couldnt really run him because of traffic. From a roll it seemed like I was REALLY pulling on him in second. Then we went from like 35 in 1'st and it seemed like right at the top of my gear he started pullin away for a split second right before the shift. Im confused. How well do the Charger SRT-8s really hold up agains the 6.0? Id also like to ask the same question about the Ford Lightning with the 5.4 s/c

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I have a question. I ran into one the other day but couldnt really run him because of traffic. From a roll it seemed like I was REALLY pulling on him in second. Then we went from like 35 in 1'st and it seemed like right at the top of my gear he started pullin away for a split second right before the shift. Im confused. How well do the Charger SRT-8s really hold up agains the 6.0? Id also like to ask the same question about the Ford Lightning with the 5.4 s/c
Not sure about the lightning, but the Challenger SRT8 and LS2 GTO is pretty much a drivers race. your driving a manual, so if you don't shift quick enough his Auto will get the pull on you.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
SRT8 Vs 6.0 GTO is a drivers race with a slight advantage to the GTO.

A stock Lightning is a high 13's low 14's vehicle so it would be almost able to keep up with an LS1 GTO. The problem is for about a $1000 they run high twelves all day long. Most owners mod their Lightnings too. With just a CAI and a tune they run real close to a LS2 GTO. Throw in the pulley and some sticky DR's and they run 12.7's.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
:agree

Back in '06 when my car was brand new with no mods and no tune, I had a Ford Lightning eat my lunch. He was 2 lanes to my left on I-10 as I was coming out of the tunnel from going across Mobile Bay and entering Mobile. He saw me immediately and revved his engine up. I laughed and revved back. His girlfriend/wife/whatever had ner nose pushed up on the window watching me when he took off. He pulled on me so hard I didn't know what hit me. As I was weeping and telling the story to my Lingenfelter Vette buddy at work, he told me about the pulley mod that all the Lightning boys were doing and how cheap it was for them to get big horsepower out of those trucks. That made me feel better......well.......a little........:eek:

Oh, and Deuce..... I have no cam and was not exaggerating. All I got is a Diablosport Predator tune, a K&N CAI, Borla cat-back exhaust, JHP gauges, and plastic "chrome" GTO emblem badge valve stem covers bought from the GM Pontiac Mall website, and I absolutely have no problem with thistledick-from-work's 300 C SRT8. Maybe it's the valve stem covers that give me the "driver's edge"......Hmmmmmmm.

·
Registered
377 Posts
SRT8 Vs 6.0 GTO is a drivers race with a slight advantage to the GTO.
I guess we'll agree to disagree but I can produce more examples and varied examples of better ETs and trap speeds. Including 12sec ETs and 109-110mph trap speeds.

I'll absolutely agree its a driver's race, dead-nuts even on any given day, coming down to knowing the gearing and shifting from a roll and throwing in the 60ft from a dig.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts