Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So around town here there is a kid with a black SRT8 Cherokee. I was messing around in a wet parking lot, just kind of sliding around and caught his attention as we were leaving class. Anyhow, I pull out and he tails me to a nearby stop light, rolls his window down, compliments the car and tells me he wants to race, lol. I just kind of laughed and told him there was no chance seeing as how it had just rained. The light turns green and I tell him to get at me again when it's dry out and he see's me driving around campus.

Soooo, Question is, Do I have a chance against this 6.1L AWD hemi? Stock they are around 420hp and pull a consistent 13.5 quarter mile (or so i read).
However, I saw one online that had a full exhaust and upgraded pcm running a 12.1 ...

At the moment my poor goat has 225 40 18's (cooper zeons) on the rear because I got an awesome deal on them, ($20 each) as oppose to the 245 40 18's it needs. Also, it's an 06' automatic with cat's removed and an x-pipe installed. otherwise, just stock. Messing around with the G-tech I got a 13.7 :confused (on the 225's)

Any ideas here?

·
Registered
122 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well with the G-tech from a dig. At a 30mph roll though, I think it would be a good race.

From a dig.... I think he would prolly dominate, lol

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol, So I should drop my rear tire pressure to 20lbs, raise the fronts and then run him on the freeway, not on a 55mph road?

·
Registered
275 Posts
well the wife has a jeep srt8 took it to the track and ran a 13.2 bone stock!!! good luck

·
Registered
22 Posts
My brother has an SRT8 Jeep, ran 13.2 @ 104 with Borla catback. On that same day I ran 13.4 @ 108 with Corsa Sport catback. We raced from a roll on the way to the track and from any speed over 30 I had him each time. I've got a 6 speed 2006. His Jeep def. jumps off the line, but after that, my car has no problem pulling from him. It's not an easy race though by any means, he was right next to me the whole time and I pulled little by little with each shift. Tell the guy you'll go from 30, but don't go from off the line, which I'm sure you already know.

·
Registered
461 Posts
How is it that something that big...with all that powertrain % loss can still give a goat such a run? What are they? Mutants?

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
I don't know this either...4wd??? (traction) ... 6 speed Auto??? I would think that brick shape and the huge weight difference would give the GTO the advantage...curious...

Bill

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Although it seems the outcome cant be too good for you, dont feel bad yet.

That car weights about 500-600 pounds more than the GTO, and although its AWD, they only pull off 0-60 in 4.9 so you can count on it being a drivers race. Now when your skinny tires come into play, thats a different question. From a roll im almost certain you will pull on him pretty quickly, so I'd practice my take-offs and shift-timing before the race... Goodluck.

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
last weights I saw listed for both vehicles showed the SRT8 at about half a ton more (1000+/-) but nonetheless they apparently move out...are the SRT8s underestimated in HP/TQ???

·
Registered
120 Posts
Those Jeep SRT-8's are nasty from a stop. They run mid to low 13's stock but don't trap nearly as high as the LS2 so you best chance is a rolling start. With the aerodynamics of a brick it has nothing on a LS2 or even a LS1 6-speed on top end.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts