Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guy down the street from me got a SRT8 Magnum about a month ago. It's black with chrome wheels. The guy has the windows tinted real dark too. It's a sharp car.

I went to the grocery store tonight in the Z28. He pulled out at almost the same time as me. He followed me to the main road and turned right behind me. He jumped on it and went for the left lane. I planted my foot and held him off till we got up to about 65 on a 50 mph road, where I let off.

We went a bit further through town where the speed limit drops to 35 and then goes back up to 55 as it heads into the country.

I made the decision if the light at the intersection where the grocery store was at was red and we got beside each other I was going past the grocery store.

Sure enough we ended up at the light. I came out of the hole better than him and slowly pulled to about 90 where I had a bit over 4 cars on him and was still opening up distance.

I let off and waved then slowed and made a u-turn. He did the same. I thought he wanted to race again, but it turned out that he was heading to the store too.

We chatted a bit at the store. He was really suprised because he has beaten Z28's before, even with exhausts on them. I think that Diablosport really helps out on a lightly modded car.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Good Stuff Ferg, before your posts on this forum, I did not expect much out of a Z28 on the streets, let alone one with a good driver. :cheers

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Cool, he may have thought he had you.

So, the diablo is worth buying? I just keep thinking it's best to spend that money else where. nice run.
Its worth buying if your not planning on major mods, heads, cam, LT's. I think its the best of many you can change peramerters too, you don't have to stick with the tune that comes with it, thats if your confident on doing you own settings.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Sure enough we ended up at the light. I came out of the hole better than him and slowly pulled to about 90 where I had a bit over 4 cars on him and was still opening up distance.

We chatted a bit at the store. He was really suprised because he has beaten Z28's before, even with exhausts on them. I think that Diablosport really helps out on a lightly modded car.
That's a nice kill. You're full bolt-ons, right? He's stock? Sounds like he knows how to drive it.

Oh boy!! I hope you got your Deuuuce repellent on. :D
:lol: humor is important! :)

Maybe the guy in the SRT8 beat a couple of LT1's before, if the guy knows the difference between them. :eek:
It's not uncommon stock for stock for an SRT-8 to beat an LS1.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's a nice kill. You're full bolt-ons, right? He's stock? Sounds like he knows how to drive it.

:lol: humor is important! :)

It's not uncommon stock for stock for an SRT-8 to beat an LS1.
I'm not full bolt-ons, no headers. I have a cat-back and a lid and the Diablosport.

He's not stock either. That's what he said. You'll love this, he has a K&N filter.

I'd think a stock LS1 F-Body versus an SRT8 car would end up just about opposite the way this one turned out. I was actually suprised we weren't closer. The first run where he hit it first and we stayed even was what I expected.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool, he may have thought he had you.

Its worth buying if your not planning on major mods, heads, cam, LT's. I think its the best of many you can change peramerters too, you don't have to stick with the tune that comes with it, thats if your confident on doing you own settings.
:agree

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'm not full bolt-ons, no headers. I have a cat-back and a lid and the Diablosport.

He's not stock either. That's what he said. You'll love this, he has a K&N filter.

I'd think a stock LS1 F-Body versus an SRT8 car would end up just about opposite the way this one turned out. I was actually suprised we weren't closer. The first run where he hit it first and we stayed even was what I expected.
I see.

Well at least he fully disclosed his "mods".

No telling what he was doing - shifting himself and ESP fully ON are both no-no's. Also the Magnum is a little heavier than the other LXs.

If you get a chance, recommend the Diablo tuner for him as well. Huge difference in shifts and torque management for the LXs. Plus a catback, CAI and a dyno tune will get him in the 400rwhp range.

What does it do for the LS1s?

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I see.

No telling what he was doing - shifting himself and ESP fully ON are both no-no's. Also the Magnum is a little heavier than the other LXs.

If you get a chance, recommend the Diablo tuner for him as well. Huge difference in shifts and torque management for the LXs. Plus a catback, CAI and a dyno tune will get him in the 400rwhp range.

As a guess I'd say I was north of 330 and maybe low 340's with what I've done. Of course my car isn't overweight. You know, no matter how much she puts out, no one really wants the fattest chick at the dance. LOL :cheers

Comparing the 6.1 liter to the 5.7 really isn't too fair. The 5.7l Hemi with those mods makes pretty much the same power the LS1 does.

Now the LS3 which is similar in size to the 6.1 Hemi makes 380-390 RWHP stock. Vettes with a catback, an intake and a tune they are running only a couple tenths behind Z06's and putting 420 ish to the wheels. Couple guys have gotten their stock LS3's to run 11.8 at 118-119 mph. There's a bunch in the 12.1-12.2 time frame with 116 mph traps. A CAI and a tune nets you 11.6 to 11.7 at 120-121 mph.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I see.

For the record, I had the ASC on and just left it in Drive. I also asked him if he was shifting or doing anything like that and he said no, he just lets the car do it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I had an extensive debate (go figure) with 4vandhemikiller regarding the merits of the 6.1 vs. the LS3.

As far as rwhp results, don't forget the LXs are 120" wheelbase, 20" wheels and automatics with 16-17.5% drivetrain loss.

The 6.1 is almost certainly heavier but the LS3 doesn't have 2 spark plugs per cylinder. After that, it's probably a moot point.

Trust me, I'd rather have an LS3 Vette and not wish for second it had a Mopar engine in it instead.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I see.

But it's def the sexiest out of the three.:D

Actually, I want one for my next family car.

·
Registered
377 Posts
But it's def the sexiest out of the three.:D

Actually, I want one for my next family car.
Since they stopped making them (Magnums), and the poor car market in general, you can get a screamin' deal on one now, I'm sure.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Since they stopped making them (Magnums), and the poor car market in general, you can get a screamin' deal on one now, I'm sure.
Dealer near me has 6 leftover 08 SRT8 cars and he has them listed for 8,000 off of sticker. I'm half tempted to. One of the cars is a Charger SRT8 and it's sticker is in the 42,000 range. That's a lot of car for 34,000. No Magnum are left though, just Charger's and 300C's.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts