Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was on my way back from a park in burbank after my brothers birthday with a friend passenger, and on my way back down the mountains a blue prior body (2004 maybe) STI rushes by me and slows down as if hes waiting for me. I'm not a fool to challenge an STI in a mountain, thats suicide. So I waiting till we got down to the straight roads. I follow him after a left turn and we line up next to each other, time to show him the GTO's good side. We both give the thumbs up and he floors it. Man that was the loudest STI I have ever heard with some MASSIVE backfiring. Also a very loud BOV. We got to the next light and I asked him whats mods hes got... He clearly said " Nothing, its just a stage 3 STI , nice GTO!" I said thanks same to you but I was confused. So the light turns green and Just to say I'm not great at taking off from a dig yet. He jumped on me but once I hit second we were neck to neck. I just started pulling on him by a little over a tire literally, then a car got in his way so he had to slow down. So we just played the Catch game a bit after that until he turned away. Ive ran my friends evo on a 10 mph roll, but this thing was nuts I actually felt like I was going to lose when we were next to each other... anyone know much about this stage 3 STI's? :confused

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
That's a strange encounter...Those rides can be quite vicious, always try to take them from a 10 or 20 role, straight road only...

·
Registered
345 Posts
A friend has a stage one SRT 4, and I'm pretty sure I understand the popping you're talking about. The fact is that if stage 3 for the STI's stage upgrades is anywhere similar to the mopar ones, he would have ran all over a stock goat. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in here though.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
AA GTO SP - How long has your sale been pending? Seems like years now...:willy:

A friend has a stage one SRT 4, and I'm pretty sure I understand the popping you're talking about. The fact is that if stage 3 for the STI's stage upgrades is anywhere similar to the mopar ones, he would have ran all over a stock goat. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in here though.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Lol, I really should change that. I was going to buy a goat when I graduated high school as I commute to school. I chose to wait until I finish school to put any debt on my head. I'm about two weeks out from finishing my second year, so I'm pretty psyched about that. Hope its alright with you guys that I'm still stickin around here even though I'm still drivin the Malibu.

-Brian

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Lol, I really should change that. I was going to buy a goat when I graduated high school as I commute to school. I chose to wait until I finish school to put any debt on my head. I'm about two weeks out from finishing my second year, so I'm pretty psyched about that. Hope its alright with you guys that I'm still stickin around here even though I'm still drivin the Malibu.

-Brian
I've been through the GTO, A C6, I've got the 03 Cavalier, and had a 1996 LT4 C4.

I'm kinda speaking for everyone, we like to have good people here, wether they drive a GTO or a Mustang or a Malibu or a Cavalier, as long as they add decent content.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I've been through the GTO, A C6, I've got the 03 Cavalier, and had a 1996 LT4 C4.

I'm kinda speaking for everyone, we like to have good people here, wether they drive a GTO or a Mustang or a Malibu or a Cavalier, as long as they add decent content.
Means more than you'd think. :cheers

·
formerly NJGoat
1,844 Posts

:agree

When one has a special interest in cars and when it really comes down to it...we all have the same likes and desires not matter what they might drive...Kudos for picking this forum though!!!

·
Registered
465 Posts
yah, i agree with everyone else, as long as somebody is cool, they are welcome. Back to somewhat the topic of the thread, i was cruising with a few of my buddies today (have the GTO up here) and we came up on a high school kid in a VERY stock, and tame looking STi, i took him in my GTO first. It was ok, he pulled on me by about 3 feet between 10mph and 65mph (my 1st gear). I never race into second, i just don't like the speed in my car. Then it was my friends' turns, one has a turbo civic, and the other has a 87 Buick Turbo T WE4 needless to say they were both 12 second cars, and the STi was far off from them, but it was fun to watch them run out on old county line.

·
Registered
289 Posts
'Stage 3' is really kinda vague. There are no factory packages like such, and nearly every aftermarket kit that is a stage 3 is gonna involve a turno upgrade, or full boltons. In which case, a stock GTO should be no trouble at all, even from a roll.

But oh well. The guy either didn't know what he was talking about, or had a bad driver mod. Nice kill....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Stage 3 STi? I think he made that up. Stage 2 is a commonly used to express a downpipe and tune. Its good for about 300whp and low 13's/high 12's. Even Subies with meth injection and external gate on stock turbo are still considered stage 2. He must mean upgraded turbo and in that case should of walked you from any speed.

·
Registered
96 Posts
if the turbo was truly upgraded chances are its a larger t3/t4 style and takes a little time to spool up, the gto its going to pull right off the shift a lot more which does help quite a bit. and if the guy was that vague about what he had done to his car odds are he bought it that way and that is what he was told. in order for a turbo car to be backfiring between shifts its gotta be running very rich, and if the turbo was upgraded the injectors would be as well so this kinda makes sense.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jag767, That makes perfect sense what you just said, im pretty sure he did buy the car that way and didnt know much about what he really got. Nice explanation :cheers

·
Registered
585 Posts
So I was on my way back from a park in burbank after my brothers birthday with a friend passenger, and on my way back down the mountains a blue prior body (2004 maybe) STI rushes by me and slows down as if hes waiting for me. I'm not a fool to challenge an STI in a mountain, thats suicide. So I waiting till we got down to the straight roads. I follow him after a left turn and we line up next to each other, time to show him the GTO's good side. We both give the thumbs up and he floors it. Man that was the loudest STI I have ever heard with some MASSIVE backfiring. Also a very loud BOV. We got to the next light and I asked him whats mods hes got... He clearly said " Nothing, its just a stage 3 STI , nice GTO!" I said thanks same to you but I was confused. So the light turns green and Just to say I'm not great at taking off from a dig yet. He jumped on me but once I hit second we were neck to neck. I just started pulling on him by a little over a tire literally, then a car got in his way so he had to slow down. So we just played the Catch game a bit after that until he turned away. Ive ran my friends evo on a 10 mph roll, but this thing was nuts I actually felt like I was going to lose when we were next to each other... anyone know much about this stage 3 STI's? :confused
A close friend has a stage 3 STI. Cobb Engineering out of Salt Lake, Utah has a four stage modification system for Subies. The third stage includes a larger turbo, additional tuning, modified exhaust and some other secret goodies that he will not talk about what else. It is faster than snot! I have a hard time keeping up with him in the 1/4, but after that, I start gaining.

·
Registered
289 Posts
if the turbo was truly upgraded chances are its a larger t3/t4 style and takes a little time to spool up, the gto its going to pull right off the shift a lot more which does help quite a bit. and if the guy was that vague about what he had done to his car odds are he bought it that way and that is what he was told. in order for a turbo car to be backfiring between shifts its gotta be running very rich, and if the turbo was upgraded the injectors would be as well so this kinda makes sense.

A T3/T4 turbo is not large. Def not large enough for lag to be an issue from a roll. A stock STi will also shoot flames on the upshift. My friend's did it all the time. No big deal....

·
Registered
96 Posts
A T3/T4 turbo is not large. Def not large enough for lag to be an issue from a roll. A stock STi will also shoot flames on the upshift. My friend's did it all the time. No big deal....
the fact that its a t3/t4 doesnt mean anything about the size. if its a garrett 20 then theres plently of room for a bit of lag. its only a 2.5 liter engine, its much different if its strapped onto an 8. theres more of an issue of a lack of low end torque than lag. the smaller turbos spool up much quicker and have a ton of torque from 2000 rpms and up, just dont produce as much high end power, ergo the benefit of twins on a larger displacement motor.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts