Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well finally got the car into the garage and started to tear into it. With the help of my brother-in-law we decided knowing the whole fuel system needed restoring due to the 20 years of storage to drop the tank.
The tank came out without a fight but major let down as soon as we started giving it a good inspection. A lot of rust on the top lip and where ever the pad was not covering it. Pulled the sender out of the tank and it was covered with what looked like about a 1/4 in of tar! Nasty lloking stuff. I have seen my share of tanks that were rusty on the inside and full of nasty old varnish like gas but I have never seen anything that looked like that before.
So now I have to assume the lines are full of this tar also.
Looks like Ames is going to be getting some buisness come Monday!

Here is what she looked like after we got her home and hosed of all the crud cobwebs and dirt.

Michael

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
I/m with Rukee on this one....keep the original lines. Get a tank, pickup/sender, and sock. GREAT looking GTO---doesn't look like it needs a restoration at all, just some TLC!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. Placed the order today with Ames. Have new tank sending unit and straps and pad coming. Of course they are out of the sending units right now but I can wait a couple of weeks as my schedule is full of annoying things that need taking care of anyway!
Also ordered up a new headliner and pad any when we were under the car working on pulling the tank the rear steel lines on the axle were way to rusty for my liking so I threw a set of new lines in the order too. 20 plus years of sitting were not kind to them at all.
Hopefully I will have some progress pictures to post up in a couple of weeks to show were I'm at.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you! I'll post some pictures up tomorrow of the body. Then you will all see why she will be in the body shop by the Summer. The engine compartment is going to be some work too as the paint is peeling badly on the block and some one took a gold spray can to the brake booster and carb. It looks just plain ugly but 100% original and unmolested besides the unwanted spray paint.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts