Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 69 Pontiac gto. 455 car runs great. Recently when I try to start the car I have to turn the switch and back of of it just a little bit. I replaced the switch but still does the same thing just wondering if anyone has had this problem

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Hello and Welcome !!

so what happens if you turn the key to start with correct pressure ... car does not turn over ??
and you need to let off key pressure to make the starter turn ?
tilt or non tilt ?
floor shift correct ?
so you replaced the switch .... and by that you mean under the dash on the column ...with all the wires...?
that is adjustable up and down on the column a bit under the small 2 screws you pulled ,,, the switch is slotted...

so

a std non tilt column the rod pushes towards the firewall ,,,, adjust accordingly

a tilt column pulls on the inerds of the switch ,,,,, adjust accordingly ....
doing the same thing before and after replacement eh ?

Scott

·
Registered
1967 400ci/TH400
124 Posts
Or it could be the dreaded "S" wire getting old, frayed, and not making good contact with solenoid.....your ignition switch may have been fine. Check this after the above.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello and Welcome !!

so what happens if you turn the key to start with correct pressure ... car does not turn over ??
and you need to let off key pressure to make the starter turn ?
tilt or non tilt ?
floor shift correct ?
so you replaced the switch .... and by that you mean under the dash on the column ...with all the wires...?
that is adjustable up and down on the column a bit under the small 2 screws you pulled ,,, the switch is slotted...

so

a std non tilt column the rod pushes towards the firewall ,,,, adjust accordingly

a tilt column pulls on the inerds of the switch ,,,,, adjust accordingly ....
doing the same thing before and after replacement eh ?

Scott
Thanks for the welcome and no sir I replaced the key switch. And I was not aware the switch under the dash was adjustable I will check that this afternoon and will also replace that switch as well thanks

·
Administrator
6,303 Posts
Could also be the 'back drive' linkage that locks the steering wheel via the transmission linkage. The next time it "won't start", try to hold the key in exactly that same position without moving it, then with your free hand grab the collar that's around the steering column just before it goes through the dash and twist it back and forth. You may already be aware but in case you aren't, if you'll watch that collar closely as you move the shifter you'll see that it rotates slightly as you move the shifter. That's the back drive in operation. The rotation of that collar is also what controls the 'safety switch' that is intended to ensure the starter will only activate in neutral or park. If the linkage adjustment is off, or there's 'slack' in the system from wear, that can cause issues like what you're having.

Bear

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
It may be the collar .. but that usually effects the neutral safety switch and you will have NO power at all
turning the switch to start the engine ,,, not intermittant or position issues with turning the key
here is a cutlass 69-72 tilt ,,I just bought yesterday with a 1000.00 of other 70 parts for my
OLDS rallye 350 cutlass,,,,switch works the same way as a pontiac
but the columns dont interchange because pontiacs had the gear locater on the top of the column and the olds it was in the spedddometer in the dash and smooth topped for the olds
any way
dont buy a switch your works !!!! for nowjust adjust it on the slots a bit
as I mentioned tilts pull the rod see the silver rod ???? that goes up to your key
a non tilt pushed that rod into the switch
loosen the 2 5/16 screws 1 full turn tap on the switch in the direction is proper .. u still havent told us tilt or no tilt
the screw s are only 4 threads long and a beech to get back in without the seat out

some times 3 nuts and a bolt a nd pulling the seat makes ita ton easier

Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok guys sorry it took me so long to get back on this but the switch on top of the steering column fixed every thing that was happening to the car so thanks again great source for information. Wish I had access to this in the 90’s lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anybody want to give a good source for a new set of stock front springs or will the springs from a 68 work??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts