Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe the started mounts on the drivers side?
anyone have a pic handy?
thanks as always
:seeya

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Yes, and if you have an auto trans, it will most likely need to be shimmed for the proper bendix clearance with starter shims. Not always, but 95% of the time. If the gears are not set correctly, you can damage the starter drive and ring gear teeth. Also, the rearmost lower headbolt on that side should have a stud on it so you can mount the heat insulation tube that the Batt and starter cables go thru. The tube is critical to keep the wires from burning and shorting out. There is more information about the specifics of starter clearance/installation out there, and I'm sure others will chime in. Rule of thumb is to replace the shims you removed originally and go from there.....but I'm assuming you're starting from scratch. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Agree - it's important to get the gap correct. If the starter is "too tight" to the ring gear, if you're lucky it'll be so tight that the pinion on the starter can't slide into and engage the ring gear and it'll just grind. If you're unlucky, it'll engage but it will be noisy, and so tight that the pinion on the starter will very soon come apart and shatter ----- ask me how I know :)

Bear

1 - 5 of 5 Posts