Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I start my Goat, (now that it starts lol) the starter sometimes binds.
I have the shim for it that was on there "back in the day",
wondering what the deal is.
I believe I can loosen the bolts and slide it closer or farther to the flywheel.
Will either solve this?
thanks as always
:party:

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
Mine did the same thing when I purchased the car, the guy who installed an aftermarket starter never bothered to shim, the previous owner lived with the grinding and I ended up replacing the flywheel as a result.

Does your starter have a bracket on the rear to help hold it? Even after installing a bracket I need many shims as the starter I replaced with had a gap, it starts smooth now with a bracket and many shims.

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have only one shim (don't know the thickness)
And no there is no bracket on the back.
This Goat, I only found most of the parts to it with a miners light.
I do indeed have the right bolts............
Gonna try simply loosening the bolts, and slide it outboard as much as I can.
thanks

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Topkat, that's not the way to do it. You need the rear bracket (the vendors have them) and you need to pull the outboard mounting bolt and loosen the inboard one to slide more shimes in. My '67 has 5 or 6 shims. They sometimes take a lot. Jetstang and tempestGT are right: it should not be adjustable by moving it around on the bolts and it should be shimmed 1/8 or more. Do it right, now that you're under there fooling with it.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I dont' know why, but Pontiac designed them to use a stack of shims. Chiltons will tell you how thick, but it is def more than 1 shim. The starter will bind in the flywheel and not retract. You are supposed to engage the starter and put a drill bit between the teeth to make sure you have the right gap, but that involves removing the selonoid and shimming. I shim till it doesn't make any bad noises. GTO is right, on a straight mount pad, you need the rear starter support.

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rear starter support?:confused
scratches head............is that what the big stud on the rear of the starter is for?
thanks as always

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Topkat, that's it!! One side goes to the block, the other goes on that little stud that sticks out of the front of the starter. Glad you're doing it "right"!!

·
Super Moderator
5,753 Posts
Top, you do need that bracket - but it's not going to fix your binding issue. I agree you need to add some shims. You can get them at most auto parts stores, in the section where all those HELP! items are.

The right way to do it is to add shims one at a time until the problem goes away. It's possible to add "too many" and tear up the teeth on the starter or ring gear (or both).

Bear

·
Registered
704 Posts
there should never be any movement front or rear if correct starter bolts are used, only up and down, while back brace keeps it level and the weight supported in the back.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts