Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 GTO convertible with a 400 4bbl engine. It has been finicky to start since I had the car (about 2 yrs). If I use it constantly, there are little issues. If it sits for a couple of days, it is hard to start, some times requiring starting fluid. Always get it to start with that. Now it was finicky and would not start. I went to try again, turned the key and nothing. Dead silence. The dash lights and radio come on but no cranking at all. Could be wiring to starter or something else. Anyone run into this issue (and solved it).:frown3:

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Start diagnostics with the basics. Clean both battery connections, check grounds at battery and engine to the firewall.

Report back battery voltage. Charge if needed. If suspect, then take it to corner parts store they can load test it.

Do the "headlight test" = if the battery is fully charged, turn on headlights and crank engine. The light should NOT dim too much.
If they do not dim at all - then the ign switch or starter may be bad. If lights dim a whole bunch (and you already determined the battery is good and connections are OK) - then the starter is probably bad. These are not the easiest to remove - but you can test this at the corner store also - if you take it out.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Have run into this issue on several GTO's I've owned, including my current '67 I've had for 36 years now. Your initial problem is fuel evaporation...the fuels of today will evaporate out of the float bowl on a Q-jet in 3-4 days if it's hot out. The no crank when you turn the key is 95% the purple S wire that runs from the ignition switch to the solenoid. Mine was bad about 1" from the switch. To verify this, turn the key to 'on', get under the car, and jump between the purple S wire on the solenoid and the B+ wire. If it cranks, you've found your issue. 95% of the Pontiac people I've run into with this issue over the years always seem to think a mini starter, Ford solenoid, or heat shield will fix this issue. Almost always, it's the purple S wire. I've had 9 GTO's....and have worked on many more. Never needed more than a stock starter. But the circuit (S wire) has to be GOOD.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts