Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my starter engages the flywheel I hear a horrendous metalic clacking noise as the motor turns over.
I changed starters hoping that was the problem.
Pinion not disengaging.......
NOT :eek:
And I know I propably don't have it shimmed properly..........
I crawled under the car and had wifey start it....... and SAW the pinion retract!!!!!!
With the cacophony continuing :willy::willy::willy:
WTF is going on here????????????????
thanks as always

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes Uncle Eric.
It never has been shimmed properly......(lol)
but with the pinion retracted..the starter is in my humble opinion is not a possible problem source:eek:
thanks you

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
check the clearance of the flexplate to the pinion at several points i had the same problem, it the flexplate is warped a bit it will scuff the teeth of the retracted pinion like a flint....mine was throwing sparks

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmmm,,,,,,,,,,the pinion retracts about 1/4'' in front of the flex plate..but im wondering if the flex plate could be rubbing on the starter housing somewhere.......(scratches head)
To make matters more confusing, this problem wasnt evident in the first few dozen attempts at starting the car.
It just "started" happening.

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It makes the noise with the motor running and the starter pinion retracted

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heidy Ho from the great white north.
One of my torque convertor bolts was MISSING and the other 2 loose. :eek:
Scary huh?
All I can figure is I was scared of tightening them too tight.
Now have the correct bolts, in and lock-tited, 2 750ml bottles of Tequila, limes (despite scowls from wifey + so convenient that Napa is right next door too the state Liquor store) and crab cooking in the pot.
And no more hideous noise from the Goat.:cool
Happy 4th to 1 and all :cheers
:party::party::party:

Attachments

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Topkat, you know how to LIVE!!! No worries on the converter bolts...they are grade 8 and heavy duty, and need to be TIGHT. Happy 4th to you and yours, too!!

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Topkat, Nice find, that would have eventually destroyed the convertor, flexplate, and possibly more....enjoy those Blue Claws and pour me a shot of that Tequila!!!!:seeya:

·
Registered
20 Posts
It makes the noise with the motor running and the starter pinion retracted
Mine was making noise just as it started it was unshimed. The flywheel was actually hitting the housing of the starter. If yours is hitting this would make noise all the time. 1/8 " shime worked great. when you remove starter see if some of the cast from housing is chewed up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts