Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and if this is their future, GM is doomed.

I don't care how much Bob Lutz weasels about this...it looks just like a PT Cruiser. It's still an underpowered FWD people hauler, just like the PT Cruiser.

That ship has sailed.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Groucho said:
It's still an underpowered FWD people hauler, just like the PT Cruiser.
And yet there's still a market for this vehicle, and I think it'll meet the needs of that market quite nicely.

Your toolbox has more than one tool in it, and so does GM's. The HHR may not be the right tool for the jobs we'd want a car for, necessarily, but there's quite a crowd that'll line up for a stylish people-and-stuff hauler, and frankly, they're more concerned with looks and accommodations than they are with horsepower, or which end of the car puts that power to the road.

I had a friend who used to argue that vans--all vans--are stupid. By her logic, nobody, anywhere, ever, for any reason whatsoever, should have a van. They're so ugly they should not exist, she insisted. Well, that's obviously preposterous. Lots of people need 'em, so if I worked for a car company and I was assigned a van to design, I'd naturally do my utmost to make it look nice for those people out there who needed--perhaps unenthusiastically, but of necessity--the car I had on my drawing board.

We'll learn in short order if GM came to the PT Cruiser party too late. If you ask me, the HHR clearly is in the same class as the PT, but it's enough different that it's no also-ran. Roomier, beefier and a bit more macho, I suspect it'll appeal to quite a few of the folks who are still buying PTs in good numbers. Not me, maybe, but not everyone shares my tastes--or ours.

Thank goodness, I say. I'd hate to think that every car on the road was a 400-horsepower two-door coupe. I wouldn't feel nearly as special!

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
Groucho said:
...and if this is their future, GM is doomed.

I don't care how much Bob Lutz weasels about this...it looks just like a PT Cruiser. It's still an underpowered FWD people hauler, just like the PT Cruiser.

That ship has sailed.
I've heard about this car. This is the first glimpse of one I got.. <SPEW>
A GM P.T. Cruiser. That's just hard to look at. I put that in the same category as the Scion XB and the Honda Element. Although not as disgusting to look at, it still is GOSH.

P.T. Cruisers were cute when they first came out, a nostalgic walk in the park to the old street rods. Their looks for me ran out a month after I saw the first one.

WTF are these engineers thinking???? It's like they are competing against each other for the FOOGLIEST RIDE.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I was at the Chevy dealer today getting the oil changed. They had two. I looked at it, and it looks better in person, but is still not for me. It looks to be the perfect car for a family that has a tight budget. It gets a decent EPA mileage rating. Being based off the Cobalt, it should drive well. It definately has more room inside than it looks like. I think the sticker on the one I looked at was 19,500. It was nicely equipped.
How does Groucho's comparison go, the BMW 3 series is a scalpel, the GTO is an axe, well the HHR would be a swiss army knife.
I'm also guessing that not many of us would buy this car, but people that would buy this car wouldn't understand the GTO.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's GM's Lemmingmobile. Me-too-ism at it's most pathetic.

If these sell well, the American auto consumer is even more retarded than I thought.

Of course, GMNA has been counting on this extra-chomosome factor as its bread and butter for decades.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I hate to admit it, but I kinda like it. It might serve as a pretty decent, efficient, utility vehicle. Certainly a better choice than many SUVs.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
GM's expecting to sell 80K HHRs this year. Since PT sales have fallen off a cliff, I just don't see how that's going to happen. GMNA simply does not have a clue about evaluating the market and building products that capitalize on it.

That said, I do like this particular car. I might need to buy a company car to haul boxes of stuff between the plant and FedEx -- and this certainly would be a contender. Looks OK (would be nicer with some better wheels), gets great mileage, fits in a regular size garage slot, and can hold plenty of stuff with the rear seats down.

SUVs drink gas. Ditto F-150s -- and the beds aren't secure even with a shell or hard tonneau. I don't like any of the minivans anymore. The industrial strength vans like Econolines and Expresses are, well, too industrial. So the HHR would fit my limited needs well.

For GMs sake, I hope this car does well -- but I just don't think there's 80,000 people out there ready to spring for one.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
b_a_betterperson said:
That said, I do like this particular car. I might need to buy a company car to haul boxes of stuff between the plant and FedEx -- and this certainly would be a contender. Looks OK (would be nicer with some better wheels), gets great mileage, fits in a regular size garage slot, and can hold plenty of stuff with the rear seats down.
Sounds like a job for a Scion xB to me. You can get them a year old for $12k, meaning some other poor sucker was the meat armor against depreciation.

But that's the Purchasing Wonk side of me talking.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
That's a great idea -- but I've actually told salespeople they've lost my business because they've shown up in a car assembled overseas by a foreign manufacturer! Kind of a zealot that way, I guess...

·
Registered
937 Posts
GTO judge said:
I saw an HHR on a Chevy Lot....Went in to check it out..... 23K This is one ugly car.... I am sure the HHR stands for >>>

H orrifically
H orrendously
R epugnant
If its based on the Cobalt its gotta be pretty small right? Looks big in the pics but I dont see how it can be.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts