Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all from Saulster in Fairfield, CA. I have driven and love the GTO, now I am "shopping" to see about buying one. I have been reading a lot of very informative posts in the Forum and decided to join in and get a bit more serious about this.

A few newbie questions to get started - I am looking for some sales and modification providers, especially closer to Fairfield than farther:

1) Dealer recommendations. Dealer service department recommendations also appreciated - Who's good out there?

2) Shop recommendations. I love to drive but I am completely mechanically hopeless so even "simple" mods probably need professional help!

My initial plans include a skip shift delete and probably a ripper shifter install if I don't like the stock shifter after a few miles. Maybe then exhaust and intake plus tuning although the stock 400 hp / 400 lb. ft. should be good for awhile.

3) ICE / electronics installer recommendations. I have been spoiled by having "navi" and don't want to go without it. The General in it's wisdom does not offer it in the GTO. I prefer the "factory" kiind of installed unit in the dash, not the portable "Tom - Tom" or Garmin types. Any with specific aftermarket units installed and comments also greatly appreciated.

TIA to all for your help and information.

Saulster

·
Registered
148 Posts
Welcome to the GTO forum, I am new here as well, you will find lots of good information and nice folks here. I would love to have factory style Nav. system as well:cheers

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Being in California, you'll get to enjoy a high powered rear wheel drive car most all of the year! That makes it a great choice. Good Luck on your purchase.

There's lots of information here; just use the search thread with a couple of key words; or ask questions!

I'm not much in the mod department; but there's a lot of folks here that are into that so I'm sure you'll get your answers.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Saulster said:
Hi to all from Saulster in Fairfield, CA. I have driven and love the GTO, now I am "shopping" to see about buying one. I have been reading a lot of very informative posts in the Forum and decided to join in and get a bit more serious about this.

A few newbie questions to get started - I am looking for some sales and modification providers, especially closer to Fairfield than farther:

1) Dealer recommendations. Dealer service department recommendations also appreciated - Who's good out there?

2) Shop recommendations. I love to drive but I am completely mechanically hopeless so even "simple" mods probably need professional help!

My initial plans include a skip shift delete and probably a ripper shifter install if I don't like the stock shifter after a few miles. Maybe then exhaust and intake plus tuning although the stock 400 hp / 400 lb. ft. should be good for awhile.

3) ICE / electronics installer recommendations. I have been spoiled by having "navi" and don't want to go without it. The General in it's wisdom does not offer it in the GTO. I prefer the "factory" kiind of installed unit in the dash, not the portable "Tom - Tom" or Garmin types. Any with specific aftermarket units installed and comments also greatly appreciated.

TIA to all for your help and information.

Saulster

1. Me. But I am on the opposite site of the country. Call ALL your local dealers and price compete them. If you have pricing questions hit me up with a PM. I can help out.

2. Nothing wrong with that. Again I would call around. What are you wanting to accomplish? We can tell you what to do. Finding who can do it, GTODEALER might know a guy in your region. He's closer to you

3. There are some good NAV systems that can mount beneath the radio. Do a search for Nav or Navigation and it should pull it up. Its been a while since the model I am thinking of was brought up. But they are out there. I would not reccomend replacing the head unit, due to the co-dependence with the drivers information center in the instrumet cluster.

Welcome and enjoy your GTO. I assure you you will not be dissappointed with your decision.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.