Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay guys help me out here I am in mad love with this vehicle our relationship began a short time ago and she barely has 1200 miles (05) but, one thing that scares the piss out of me is some of the negative feedback about this machine from recent safety issues, electrical symptoms, etc etc I am 30 and by no means is this my first new vehicle but when I do tend to keep em a long time I traded my 2000 silverado which never ever gave me one problem since the day it left the lot. I plan on keeping this thing until GMAC sends me the title with my name on it :rolleyes: Most of the problems I hear are with the 04 models like the poor gentleman trying to get GM to stop dickin him around. Well, I am just ranting I hope I did not make a 30k mistake.... Good luck to all of us GTO psychos!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
You always have warranty to cover your arse. I bought a used 04 GTO which had 11,959 mi when I drove it for a test drive. Now has 12, 480. Nothing has come up yet. Watch out for the tranny whine, I hear it happens to nearly everyone, but I've read that many have gotten it taken care of under warranty.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you check out other forums for new cars, you will find that most new vehicles sound like they are falling apart. I don't think there is anything to be concerned about on a large scale. Our GTOs seem to be well built cars, but you have to take all the comments and even the TSBs in stride. Just watch for things people post about their experiences but above all, just enjoy your car.

·
Registered
290 Posts
If your that concerned maybe you should just trade it in. I assume you've had problems with yours already? I don't mean to sound like an asshat but you are bothered enough to start a thread about it. No problems with mine yet. I heard the Camry's hold up well and you won't feel like you made a 30K dollar mistake...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Ironmancan said:
If your that concerned maybe you should just trade it in. I assume you've had problems with yours already? I don't mean to sound like an asshat but you are bothered enough to start a thread about it. No problems with mine yet. I heard the Camry's hold up well and you won't feel like you made a 30K dollar mistake...
Don't sweat it there are tons of folks out there that have had no problems with their GTO's. Besides you should still have the remainder of the factory warranty plus, i hope, you got an extended warranty also. If you plan on keeping any car through the full term of your finance you should have an extened warranty.
Also Camry can have a few lemons also I had a 95 V6 LE Coupe that decided the tranny needed to take a dump at 65,000.. my extended warranty covered that little issue. :cool

·
Registered
32 Posts
90% of the time online forums are used for venting frustrations or concerns with the cars. I'm sure there are plenty of drivers out there that have yet to have any issues but its rare for someone to post a FYI saying their car is fine. Online communities are great for discussing potential problems and being proactive in resolving issues but it all has to be kept in perspective.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ironmancan said:
Damn!! you are a nice guy:eek: I am just being a sissy and just venting like the rest of us fanatics. The vehicle is new so I have full warranty coverage plus extended besides after warranty if it breaks I get to put the new craftsman set to use.:lol:

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Trukcrazy said:
If you check out other forums for new cars, you will find that most new vehicles sound like they are falling apart. I don't think there is anything to be concerned about on a large scale. Our GTOs seem to be well built cars, but you have to take all the comments and even the TSBs in stride. Just watch for things people post about their experiences but above all, just enjoy your car.
This is exactly right.

Nissans, Hondas, Toyotas, Mazdas all have forums, and all have gritches and gripes about this and that. I've owned a LOT of cars, and only the past 5 or 6years have I started frequenting internet forums on them, mainly for information about this or that.

My experience is, if you spend enough time on the forums of cars you're considering to buy focusing on their problems, you're going to save a lot of money, because you won't be buying any.

·
Registered
233 Posts
This might make you feel a little better. I have almost 14,000 miles on my 04,and have yet to have one problem other than the crummy stock brakes. Even that was a simple fix,Power slot rotors and Gm ceramic pads.I hope this helps.:cheers

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you look hard enough you can find distressing things on just about anything. I've had my GTO for a year now and I've had no tranny whine, no electrical issues, no nothing. I keep in mind that it's a machine built by a human and since the latter is subject to good and bad days we all will probably encounter some issue; however, none that will cloud the fact I own a GTO! :)

·
Registered
621 Posts
I've had my '05 for 12 months and have 6200 miles on it. Other than taking out a deer when it had 600 miles on it, I've had not one problem (knock on wood). Incidently, the hood, front fascia (bumper), and one headlight needed to be replaced and I had it back like new in one week. I've read that some folks have had to wait long periods for parts but that wasn't the case in SC. I like everything about the machine and I also like the fact that you don't see yourself coming and going constantly. I've owned four Mustang GTs and that always annoyed me.

·
Registered
290 Posts
lotaguts said:
Damn!! you are a nice guy:eek: I am just being a sissy and just venting like the rest of us fanatics. The vehicle is new so I have full warranty coverage plus extended besides after warranty if it breaks I get to put the new craftsman set to use.:lol:

Sorry, I meant no offense. :cheers

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
If you go to the corvetteforum and look at issues for a 2006 C6, you would never buy one based on your questions about problems from posts here. 2006 C6's built during the 1st 3 months of production scored 66 defects per 100 cars according to JD Powers. That number beats the next closest, Lexus, buy 14 defects. The Lexus was at 80 defects per 100 cars. The 2006 Corvette actually set a record for the lowest amount of problems per 100 cars ever recorded. If you look at the forum though you would never guess it.

The GTO is middle of the pack as far as defects per hundred cars. Take a look in polls and see how many cars haven't had any problems at all. The reason it seems like there are more problems is because people don't tend to post all the time about their car being perfect.

My car was perfect, I had 0 problems and got pretty close to 20,000 miles before the itch to trade hit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Still pretty new...

...and had the gauge cluster replaced (the center display was missing about an 1/8" horizontal strip across the middle) and a piece of interior under-dash trim reattached (mounting clips were installed backward).

Now at 2600 miles, and the car feels very solid w/out a hint of a problem. 19+ mpg on a 2005 A4 - mostly rush hour w/ the occasional SEG-inducing max thrust foray. I'm very happy - it's a great car.

:cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
33,000 miles on my goat

i drove my car cross country about 3000 miles after i bought it. during my trip i had weird electrical problems. my fuel gauge was reading wrong lucky for me my wife was following on our jeep cherokee and we would refuel when the jeep needed it. then my speed gauge went haywire and all this went away after like a day or so. by the time i got to my destination my power seat was broke too. that was taken care of at the dealership as for the gauges, they could not find anything wrong with them. once in a while they act up, but all i have to do is shut the car off,wait a few sec and then start it up again. its a pain in the ass but i still love my goat. also has anyone had to replace the window trim? i did. my gto is a 2004 built in may, so if anyone has had this problem with there car look and see what month it was built iam curios to find out. good luck to all with there 30000 investment. lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.