Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow quarantiners,

I saw a post on rebuilding a steering column, but it didn't answer my issue. Here's what is happening. I have a 69 GTO with a tilt wheel. I have two primary issues:
1. The key cylinder has nearly a quarter inch of travel in an out.
2. Once running, if my key moves, some of my electronic accessories stop working and my GEN light comes on. The car continues to run

The key was sloppy and I thought changing the key cylinder would fix the problem. I did this, and the key feels more solid, but it still has the travel. You can see the spring pin that holds the cylinder in place has no metal next to it and that is what allows for the travel. With the car running, I can gently move the key without turning off the car and I can make the GEN light come on and off. First off, clearly the cylinder having that much travel is wrong, but its all pot metal in there, so I am not sure how you can correct that.

But what would be causing the other issue? Like I said, it does not affect the car running, but it obiously is introducing an electrical issue and its another thing I don't want to have to watch. I am not sure if there is a rebuild option, or if my column is worn out (thought I have never heard of that happening before).

If I have to replace the column, I am not keen to spend 700 to 1,000 to do it. Are there any positive comments relate dto the aftermarket options from CPP, Ididit and Flaming River? Or is the work required to make it mount correctly make those more of a hassle than worth it? Ames has a re-manufactured OEM unit for my car for $649 and other than CPP, that seems to be the best price.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
373 Posts

I saw a post on rebuilding a steering column, but it didn't answer my issue. Here's what is happening. I have a 69 GTO with a tilt wheel. I have two primary issues:
2. Once running, if my key moves, some of my electronic accessories stop working and my GEN light comes on. The car continues to run

The key was sloppy and I thought changing the key cylinder would fix the problem. I did this, and the key feels more solid, but it still has the travel. You can see the spring pin that holds the cylinder in place has no metal next to it and that is what allows for the travel. With the car running, I can gently move the key without turning off the car and I can make the GEN light come on and off. First off, clearly the cylinder having that much travel is wrong, but its all pot metal in there, so I am not sure how you can correct that.

But what would be causing the other issue? Like I said, it does not affect the car running, but it obiously is introducing an electrical issue and its another thing I don't want to have to watch. I am not sure if there is a rebuild option, or if my column is worn out (thought I have never heard of that happening before).

If I have to replace the column, I am not keen to spend 700 to 1,000 to do it. Are there any positive comments relate dto the aftermarket options from CPP, Ididit and Flaming River? Or is the work required to make it mount correctly make those more of a hassle than worth it? Ames has a re-manufactured OEM unit for my car for $649 and other than CPP, that seems to be the best price.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike
I am of the mind that most things are repairable. If you don't plan on daily driving your repair may last. 1) How did the remanufactured one get repaired.....or did it, in the area your is having issues? Show us some pics where you think your issues source is coming from. Maybe we can help suggest some fixes.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am of the mind that most things are repairable. If you don't plan on daily driving your repair may last. 1) How did the remanufactured one get repaired.....or did it, in the area your is having issues? Show us some pics where you think your issues source is coming from. Maybe we can help suggest some fixes.
Thanks, I will have to pull the steering wheel again to show a picture of the key cylinder and how much play it has. But I can't show a picture of the issue that causes the electrical issue. I am guessing there is play (slop) down the column that is allowing the rod to move. I heard there is a gear on the left side of the column that operates the rod. I need to check the play, but doubt I can illustrate it with a picture.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike
If you need another column
I may hav one
If not can get you to place that leaves a few hundreds in wallet ...if your into that sorta thing...
[email protected]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts