Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The steering wheel on my 1967 Lemans needs to be adjust and was wondering if i can do this by removing the steering wheel and aligning it properly or do i have to adjust it down near the steering lingage.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Hello

have you done an air pressure and tire condition/manufacture date check yet ?
on ALL 4 of em

any scuffing or tire tread wear issues ...inside edge ..

do you have a brake hanging up a touch ?... have you spun the tires in the air ?

done a wheel bearing tightness check? top to bottom tire rocking ...

when in the air on one side ..forcefully move the tire to steer the wheel
and see where the slop is in the front steering parts if any ?

I would take it in for alignment at a known knowledgable shop
and a front end lube and safety check ... lube the u joints too ..different grease tho

Scott

worth every penny of the 150.00 ... for safety and piece of mind ...

just a few things that come to mind on my lunch break...........

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate your response and is good advice. everything on the front end is new and it drives straight. I do have plans on getting a front end alignment. I just had the gear box rebuilt so that it has the quick ratio turning and When i reassembled the steering wheel it was off by 45 degrees. it was always off a little bit but not that bad and would like to know how to correct it.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I appreciate your response and is good advice. everything on the front end is new and it drives straight. I do have plans on getting a front end alignment. I just had the gear box rebuilt so that it has the quick ratio turning and When i reassembled the steering wheel it was off by 45 degrees. it was always off a little bit but not that bad and would like to know how to correct it.

Thanks
As long as you know that the same number of turns are used to turn center-to-left lock, and then center-to-right lock, it is the steering wheel that is improperly mounted.

So place our wheel as if driving straight ahead, then turn steering wheel left and count. Bring it back to straight (center) again, then turn steering wheel right and count. You should have the same number of turns regardless of how the steering wheel is presently positioned.

I believe, as I recall, the rag joint can only go one one way when you couple it to the steering box. The steering arm on the steering box typically has one spline that is wider so as to align the box/arm correctly - assuming you have the factory arm/box.

If you find that the steering wheel goes 2 turns from center in one direction and 1 turn from center to the other, this would indicate 3 turns from "lock-to-lock." In this example, the wheel should turn 1 1/2 turns from center in each direction, but because the steering wheel uses 2 turns to go center to left/right, and 1 turn to go center to left/right, would indicate you have a mechanical issue and have to find out why.

If all is good, then you will have to pull the steering wheel and re-align the steering wheel on the steering shaft splines with the front tires pointed straight ahead.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't see my response to your quote so will add it again. i did confirm that my steering is correct in that it does turn equally from center to either side about 1 and a half turns and ended up pulling the steering wheel off to center it. i would like to add that changing my gearbox to the fast ratio was worth the effort even though i snapped 2 of the bolts trying to remove it and had to use a sawsal to allow it to drop out of the frame and then a torch to remove the snapped bolts.

Thanks for the advice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts