Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
the 'next' button, the one in the center, has broke off. I was able to pull it and check everything out, it is held on by 2 little plastic tabs in the back that have broke. without the tabs holding it in place it just simply rattles around in there. is there any way I can secure it and still have it functional?
here of some pics of what im talking about
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,433 Posts
gorilla glue needs one surface to be wet for it to adhere too. When it begins to cure it foams and expands. Plastic is not porous and that glue probably won't work as you have found besides it may be a nightmare for you on something like this. Try a 2 part epoxy. OR... if you don't care if it ever needs to be removed try JB weld (just a little dab on the contact points. You'll never get it off again though.

If it were me I'd try hot glue if that don't work wrapping the sides with black electrical tape to make it snug. Force it in see if it works then use a fine exacto knife to trim excess tape away. If you get it to stay and looks good don't use the button use the dash control.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^not that kind. I used the super glue kind. its clear, doesn't foam, and doesn't need to have a surface wet and dries in minuets. best stuff EVER!. I like the hot glue idea, might give that a shot after work. I just wish there was a way I could get in there to put a zip tie around it, I would think that would hold it in place decent and keep it functional.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just an update, I finally got around to working on it. the hot glue it most definitely the way to go for this. an entire new switch was going to be WAY to much. I started by putting a decent bead along the back of it where it was broke, after letting it dry it wasn't quite secure so I pulled it up a bit and put a small dap along the outer edge to hold it in place good. after letting it dry its in secure and it takes a harder push, but is still functional.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,433 Posts
Just an update, I finally got around to working on it. the hot glue it most definitely the way to go for this. an entire new switch was going to be WAY to much. I started by putting a decent bead along the back of it where it was broke, after letting it dry it wasn't quite secure so I pulled it up a bit and put a small dap along the outer edge to hold it in place good. after letting it dry its in secure and it takes a harder push, but is still functional.
glad it worked.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top