Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! My 04 AT GTO is now a 3,600 lb. boat anchor! The key won't turn in the ignition no matter how much jiggling, turning the wheel, mashing the brake pedal, fooling with the shifter knob I do.

The rear wheels are locked (it's in Park), the front wheels are turned about 45 degrees.

Anyone got any ideas? Please be constructive, I've already considered torching it.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
This happened to someone else on this board a short time ago. The dealer ended up replacing the whole colomn. Good luck to you and let us know what happens.

·
Registered
165 Posts
This happened to me about a month ago. Dealer had to replace the whole steering column because (he said) the ignition switch couldn't be replaced with the steering column locked. Goat was in the shop for two weeks because there wasn't another column shown on any dealer's inventory in the continental U.S. so replacement had to come from down under.

Sorry to hear about your problem and hope your ride won't be down as long as mine. -Jim

Help! My 04 AT GTO is now a 3,600 lb. boat anchor! The key won't turn in the ignition no matter how much jiggling, turning the wheel, mashing the brake pedal, fooling with the shifter knob I do.

The rear wheels are locked (it's in Park), the front wheels are turned about 45 degrees.

Anyone got any ideas? Please be constructive, I've already considered torching it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've had that problem before in mine, every now and then it comes up again, it's taken me as long as 30 minutes to get my car started when it does that, but I figured it out somewhat, I jerk the wheel hard to the right while simultaneously turning the key hard to the right. Also, I've noticed the key can't be pushed in 100% of the way when doing this, I have to push the key in about 95% of the way, it clicks a little different when you do that. Much like sex panther cologn, "60% of the time, it works all the time". Obviously it's not a guarantee, but that's what worked for me. Good luck with your car man.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This happened to me about a month ago. Dealer had to replace the whole steering column because (he said) the ignition switch couldn't be replaced with the steering column locked. Goat was in the shop for two weeks because there wasn't another column shown on any dealer's inventory in the continental U.S. so replacement had to come from down under.

Sorry to hear about your problem and hope your ride won't be down as long as mine. -Jim
Thanks. I'll let everyone know how it turns out. In the meantime: ALWAYS STRAIGHTEN YOUR FRONT WHEELS WHEN YOU PULL INTO A PARKING SPACE. It makes things a lot simpler if something goes wrong.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's an update on the status of my car. Still a boat anchor at this point. GM of North America doesn't have a steering column in stock so they are checking to see if any dealer might have one (!).

Next stop - Australia.

Really makes me want to put my name on the list for a G8
[heavy sarcasm implied here]

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hey everybody,

I too had the same locked steering/ign key problem a couple weeks ago. Being the parts mgr, and having a good relationship with our #1 tech, I have some insight that may be real helpful to getting your car back and running.

What the tech showed me I will try to explain and I've attached a pic to help explain. What the tech did first after he tried for an hour to get the key to release or turn, was he got the idea of taking the ign switch off,which is mounting to the back of the ign lock cylinder. The tech then realized that what was causing the problem was likely the pin at the very rear of the lock cylinder (shown on the pic in pink) was hanging up. If you will notice the ramp to the right of the "pink" pin, you'll see it is a very steep slope for the pin to climb up. The tech reshaped the ramp to where it was almost c shaped so the pin now has very little resistance to climb the ramp. The tech also comment about how soft the metal was, and how he reshaped the ramp with nothing more than a razor blade. The main problem as I see it is the lock cylinder housing is made of way too soft metal, and the pin is wearing a spot at the bottom of the ramp and that, along with the steep slope of the ramp is causing our ignition to lock up.

If you have any other questions just PM me or email me at [email protected].

Good Luck
Partsguru

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes, I hear about this a lot. I know two GTO's this has happened to.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Steering Wheel Problem Update - Week 2

Group,

My car is still in the shop. The parts manager says that they are looking for a steering column and a cylinder. They haven't been able to find one in the US and aren't too sure about Australia. They are supposed to call me tomorrow after they have spoken (again) to the GM Parts rep.

I had fax'd them the excellent write up and picture sent in by Partsguru1 (thanks again Doug!) but they claim that GM has advised them against any kind of "temporary" fix. I suspect they fear some kind of liability in the event of an accident.

I will keep the Board posted on my status but, in the meantime, I'd straighten my wheels before I turn the key off if I were you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Steering Wheel Problem Update - Week 2 Update

Still no word from GM.

For the record, the dealership has rented me a car and they are going to pay for both the tow and the repair. I'm 2,000+ miles out of warranty.

They are trying to do the right thing, but it's hard to believe that GM would import and sell cars without putting enough parts in their system to keep them running.

Here's a scary thought: If they can't find parts for an '04 in '07, what's it going to be like when you need something five years from now?

Maybe we should all buy a couple of wrecks so we'll have our own parts donors.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Blowout the lock with wd40 and compressed air a couple of times. A bunch of black stuff comes out. The key then should turn. I had some 3 in 1 oil in a spray can and sprayed that in and blew the excess out. Been a week now no problems.:party:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Steering Wheel Problem Update - Week 2 Update

Still in the shop. Parts still on order: Steering column and cylinder coming from Australia. May arrive next week.

Still in a rental car (they are paying).

Stay tuned.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Kudos to your dealer for doing all that 2k miles after your warranty ran out. When a dealer does something bad, it's all over these boards; it's nice to see some good talk about our hard working service employees.:cool

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yes, I hear about this a lot. I know two GTO's this has happened to.
:willy:
If you wouldn't mind, please tell how you're getting that combo of performance and mileage!!!

I have a stock '06 M6 18's and have gotten 31mpg highway with the cruise set at 75 for a 100 mile give-or-take stretch, but my city mileage sucks bigtime. I'd like to hear what mods you have, etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just to keep everyone in the loop. We are now at 1 month and counting on my repair. Car is still immobile. Parts are still on order. I'm still in a rental.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just to keep everyone in the loop. We are now at 1 month and counting on my repair. Car is still immobile. Parts are still on order. I'm still in a rental.
Tom,
Does the dealer's parts dept. have a spac case on the parts ordered? I'm surre you won't know off hand, but you need to make sure there is a SPAC Case opened or you will be waiting forever on getting your car back. Basically opening a spac case puts your parts on as high a priority as possible and indicates a vehicle down. If for some reason they haven't opened a spac case you should go down and kick someones a$$ because they have just wasted a month of your time! If you need anymore info just email me.

Doug aka "Guru

·
Former Moderator
4,081 Posts
as Doug pointed out the cylinder ramp is wearing and it can be fairly easily fixed. in a lot of ways that's a better fix IMHO. you have your car running fairly quickly and it's less likely to happen again. over on LS1GTO there is a fairly detailed thread on how someone fixed his own. DIY FTW

1 - 20 of 47 Posts