Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone think the steering wheel does not go down enough.i feal like my arms are on ape hangers on a chopper.i pulled the lever down under the wheel and it did not move alot???

·
Registered
2 Posts
every other GM i have ever been in has a different tilt mechanism. It lets you drop it low when you get it and raise it back up when you want to get out. Now its a habit... and you can't really do that in the GTO.... they definately need to rework the wheel....

·
Registered
17 Posts
That was one of the first things I noticed when I got my 04. I was used to dropping the wheel lower than the GTO wheel would go. It helps to raise the seat up some. But actually, if the wheel dropped lower, it would block the gauges, so I'm sure that was by design. I still raise the wheel to get out and lower it after I'm in. The tilt mechanism was very stiff when it was new, but now it's pretty loose and smooth after all the ups and downs.

·
Registered
321 Posts
This is an old thread, I know, but I just recently followed up on it...
I pulled the panel off under the steering column and removed all 4 bolts that stick up. It made no difference in the travel. The steering column does not contact these bolts at all, at least on my car. If you remove the panel and use a flashlight you can see the tilt mechanism only has so much travel. On the left side of the column is a rectangular metal plate with a slot in the middle, and it has grooves or serrations on it. On the right side of the column is another rectangular steel plate with a slot in it but this one is smooth. There is a rod that runs from one side to the other and travels up and down in these slots, so the column will only move up or down as much as these slots allow. When you lock the tilt mechanism, it pulls this rod to the left, which pulls it tight against the right side and locks another grooved piece against the grooved slider on the left to hold it in place. I don't think you can gain more travel without modifying the slider things or fab some new ones. I don't know if I described it well, but pop the panel off and work the wheel up and down and you'll see what I'm talking about. That's one of my few gripes about this car is I can't get a wheel position that's comfortable without having to raise the seat up so high I either can't get in the car or my head is hitting the roof. No matter where I put the wheel it feels uncomfortable and awkward to me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.