Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just back from the drag strip with a smile on my face.
13.81 @ 102.2 MPH with a 20mph head wind.
Only problem is see with this car is WHEEL HOP. Most of the time i could sneak it out of the hole without hopping it but when shifting to second it got ugly a couple of passes. I had to lift to save the poor rear end.

Joe

·
Registered
194 Posts
Great time for all stock these cars are heavy! Do you remember what your 60 foot was? I bet with some ET Streets or something in the rear you would have been a 13.7 at 105 with nothing but tires as mods! I can't wait to hook this car up, all I need is some time off man. Been working 7 days a week!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Man 7 days a week can suck but it makes alot of car payment :D
My best 60 ft time was 2.11 most were 2.2 seconds. Rumor has it that the ET Streets will help the wheel hop too.
Joe

·
Registered
194 Posts
I got a fat check and two days to come home, it was worth it because I got paid and bought some mods. Little by little.

Did you see that website that has the rims *and* the ET Streets mounted and balanced 26.10 I think they were for $275.00?

They are a must for a good ET. 2.1 2.0 is real good for where we are at right now with this car in my opinion. I think with some weight reduction and those Drag's in the back a 1.8 is possible!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mark
I was afraid someone was going to ask that :eek:
I went to Lapeer dragway. It's not the best place to go but it's only 10 miles from my house. Yes wheel hop was a big problem. Mostly when shifting into second. Dont get me wrong it would wheel hop out of the hole too if i was a little to aggresive with the clutch. I had plenty of time to practice, only 40 or 50 cars showed, it was cold and windy. I made 15 passes. :D
Best pass was my second.

Joe

·
Registered
27 Posts
improve those 60's dude and you'll be in the mid 13's for sure. you should be able to get 1.7's w/ better tires...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just got back from the 1/4 track and my GTO (auto) ran a best of 13.79 at 100.29. It ran three 13.80's at 100.14. It sure was fun whipping up on the Mustangs and Camaros. The only race I lost was to a 04 GTO 6 speed. I had him out of the hole but he caught me on the top end.

Now it is time for some mods.

·
Banned
98 Posts
04 a4

Those look like good times. I've never seen an auto GTO break 14 secs. The drag radials @ 16-18 should really help your 60ft. and 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
267 Posts
this my be a little off subject but does anyone know what can be done about the wheel hop, they sell a kit for the ctsv but all i could find for the gto is frame connectors.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I know for my 03 Cobra, to help solve the IRS wheel hop issue there were a few things you could do to help counter it.1 Get better/stronger bushings, 2. get some stiffer springs ,3. Get some better rear shocks, 4. better half shafts to withstand the hop or best of all, 5. solve it by changing to a solid rear end

·
Registered
18 Posts
Palmer with all of our good weather in the burgh the past week, did you run any 1/4 mile times with your new toy? If so what kind of info did it give you, 1/4 time, 0-60, HP, ETC?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Best 1/4 mile so far has been 13.8 at 108. My 0-60 was a lack luster 5.57. As for the HP, I still need to add some data to the timer (car weight, drag, etc.) before I get an accurate reading. I'll post more data (0 to 10 through 100mph times and distance 300ft, 1000ft, etc.) later on tonight.

·
Registered
70 Posts
flht3 said:
this my be a little off subject but does anyone know what can be done about the wheel hop, they sell a kit for the ctsv but all i could find for the gto is frame connectors.
You have to come out harder. I was doing 2.1 short times hopping like mad running 13.6. Started bringing the rpm up to 3K or more and released the clutch fast, not dumping, and was rewarded with 1.9 short times. And no hop! The car came alive and ran a 13.2. No changes between runs other than launch technique.

It took 4 trips to the track to figure out though :eek:

And I leave my tires at 30psi also.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I read somewhere that a new driveshaft could really help out too. Something about the connectors on the stock one suck and can add to wheel hop issues. I like the idea of a 3k semi dump. I only have 180 miles on the clock, so I'm not about to try that, but the track doesn't open here til March. I can practice on the street til then!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts