Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth going from stock 3.46 rear gear to 3.90 gears on 2005 gto with 6 speed tranny? I know that a lower gear does not increase horsepower but will increase torque applied to the ground at the sacrifice of top end speed, but is the money better well spent on a mild cam kit and springs? or is the stock gearing low enough? how much is a gear change like this really worth all by itself?

·
Registered
144 Posts
A Cam is the best bang for the money you can get. i have 3.90s in mine but got them mostly because i had to change the posi and i have a big cam that likes only high rpm. The torque multiplication is nice, and car is very long geared stock (2 overdrive gears) but expect to pay around 1000$ for them and while there you might as well upgrade to a truetrac (500 more). I did not notice any decrease in mpg but they whine a little (probably a lot since my exhaust is very loud:smile2:)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks ONKO, Yeah I think your right, cam change probably best bang for the buck, I may do both to help maintain low end torque, I guess I really enjoy the low end torque the stock cam offers, that's wat I don't want to give up.

·
Former Moderator
4,081 Posts
To get a cam to work the best LTs should be your first mod followed by cam and tune. I have 3.91 gears and honestly at the power levels I'm at now first gear is useless.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts