Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I installed a new set of front and rear coil springs on my 69 judge during the restoration and the ride height is still too high with 3000 miles on it. Im looking for either an original set of springs, or a set of repos that will give me the correct ride heght. Its sitting about 2 inches too high. Thanks

·
Registered
973 Posts
I've heard the fronts can be side specific. Also, double check that they are clocked the same in the pockets on the control arms. If they are not seated the same, you can get a lean. Some of these cars do have a slight lean no matter what. Figure the frame is 50+ years old.

·
Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
3,377 Posts
Thank you. I dont have lean to either side. The entire car sits about 2 inches too high.
Too high by your liking and too high for factory ride height, are wildly different.

If it's too high for your liking (but as designed from the factory), then you may need to do a lowering kit.

If it's too high by factory standards, then maybe you got the wrong springs.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its 2 inches above the stock ride height. Most likely the incorrect springs. I asked for a set of stock height springs when i purchased them. Obviously they goofed. Maybe they gave me AC springs. Unfortunately the old ones were gone at that point.

·
Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
3,377 Posts
For 2 inches too high, it wouldve had to be big block Chevelle with AC springs in the front, and Station wagon springs in the rear.

I like very high cars and I usually order AC springs, for a Pontiac, I don't find them to be as dramatically different as they are with Chevy's. I think BB Chevy engines are almost 100lbs heavier... so if you got BBC AC springs for a Chevelle?

All this being said, UMI makes quality, affordable factory height springs.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@greenjudge69,

Where did you purchase the springs from?

I purchase new springs from Ames and it brought my ride height back to factory specs. I did however add some rear coil spring spacers to lift the rear an inch or so.

Old tired springs
View attachment 154671

Before Rear Coil spring spacers
View attachment 154669

After rear coil spring spacers
View attachment 154670
I bought them from a local shop that does leaf spring and coil spring replacements. My bad. Should have called ames. Would u happen to still have the part numbers?? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
@greenjudge69,

I purchase new springs from Ames and it brought my ride height back to factory specs. I did however add some rear coil spring spacers to lift the rear an inch or so.

Old tired springs
View attachment 154671

Before Rear Coil spring spacers
View attachment 154669

After rear coil spring spacers
View attachment 154670
Nice ! I think I got mixed up on who lived in Naperville and told someone else here that there's a show in Huntley this Sunday if you're interested.

·
Registered
1969 GTO
190 Posts
@greenjudge69,

These are what I purchased from Ames.
S327 1968-1969 FRONT COIL SPRINGS, PAIR (AP)
S364 1968-1972 REAR SPRINGS, FIRM RIDE (A-BODY) (AP)

And don't feel bad. You would think the spring shop you purchased the springs from would of sold you the correct springs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
@greenjudge69,

I like the heightened ride & doing the same here w/ 1" spacers. I'd offer to buy OP's but when I finally checked the rear suspension to begin replacing parts - I noticed my rear springs have a nice flat black paint job & zero rust or abrasions of any kind. Even the shocks are clean (but still getting replaced).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts