Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to hear others opinions. I have owned numerous f-bodies in the past mostly camaro's and a couple of t/a's from previous threads I have mentioned I am coming from a modded Chevy Silverado truck which I had since 2000 so its been a while since I have had something new. I must say I am so satisfied with the stock appearance of this vehicle I cannot see anything I would like to change everything from the pipes, rims, hood, the list goes on an on I just cannot get over how awesome this thing looks. I am sure once I build a tolerance for the 400hp I will add some performance goodies but the look is perfect I see a lot goats with rims and they look amazing but, the stock version looks so good as well. :cool

·
Registered
305 Posts
I agree I am unable to find an aftermarket rim that looks as good as the stock. I'm not a large rim kind of guy anyway. However....

If someone with an '06 is looking for after market rims I WILL GLADLY TAKE THE STOCK RIMS OFF YOUR HANDS!:willy: For a reasonable price of course.

I can't tell you how much time I spend each weekend cleaning brake dust out of the deep nooks and crannies of my 17" stock 05's. I contemplated trading in my 05 just for the rim factor alone.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
MeanGoat said:
I agree I am unable to find an aftermarket rim that looks as good as the stock. I'm not a large rim kind of guy anyway. However....

If someone with an '06 is looking for after market rims I WILL GLADLY TAKE THE STOCK RIMS OFF YOUR HANDS!:willy: For a reasonable price of course.

I can't tell you how much time I spend each weekend cleaning brake dust out of the deep nooks and crannies of my 17" stock 05's. I contemplated trading in my 05 just for the rim factor alone.
Are the 06 17" rims different? They look the same on GM Buypower website- -

·
Registered
558 Posts
I absolutely agree. Our GTOs are tasteful little beasties--just the right amount of "mean" in the face and restraint everywhere else. And I really do like the 17" wheels. I've always liked five-spoke wheels, and these have the right combination of brutishness and . . . "organic-ness," I guess, to accentuate the shape of the car.

·
Registered
558 Posts
noz34me said:
Are the 06 17" rims different? They look the same on GM Buypower website- -
The 17" and 18" wheels are, indeed, very similar. The wheels on the red GTO at the top of the GTO Forum page are 18-inchers. The 17-inchers have a detail that the 18-inchers don't: as you follow a spoke from the wheel center to the rim, there are "rails" bracketing the spoke that take a nosedive inward.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Love the design of the car. It's just that the factory wheels have zero depth from the rim to the dish -- so they're too flat for my taste. I also like an 18" wheel over a 17", too. Have any of you guys rubbed your wheels against a curb? I haven't -- but this trend in flat wheel design kinda ticks me off because of it.

Since I've got an '04, I like the split exhaust outlets, LS2 and big brakes on the '05s -- but am happy enough. Prefer the '04 hood and back bumper over the '05s, though.

The only things I'd change from the factory are the stereo -- which just doesn't do it for me -- and the location of the gas tank. Man, I wish GM left it where the Aussies originally put it. Would have gladly signed a waiver acknowledging it didn't meet Federal crash standards -- because they're not that different from the ones down under.

·
Registered
305 Posts
GM Kid said:
The 17" and 18" wheels are, indeed, very similar. The wheels on the red GTO at the top of the GTO Forum page are 18-inchers. The 17-inchers have a detail that the 18-inchers don't: as you follow a spoke from the wheel center to the rim, there are "rails" bracketing the spoke that take a nosedive inward.
Which is why I like the '06 18 inchers. They look smooth and stealthy. And of course, easier to clean.

So like I said, if anyone has any they are tossing I would like to know. Willing to pay up to 25 % under invoice. :D

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Never liked the OEM wheels. IMHO they look awful...even worse chromed. Then again, I think I'm allergic to chrome. :D

I like the clean klook of the car....and have made my mods to make it even slipperier-looking... :cool

·
Registered
65 Posts
MeanGoat said:
Which is why I like the '06 18 inchers. They look smooth and stealthy. And of course, easier to clean.

So like I said, if anyone has any they are tossing I would like to know. Willing to pay up to 25 % under invoice. :D
Check eBay. I have considered buying an extra set just in case of grinding a curb. I think the stocks are tight. I like 'em chromed a little better, but not for the price. What do you think of the graphics kits available for the stock rims? They have a graduated grey scale shading that adds more depth to the look. They also say GTO or Pontiac if you like. I am considering them, but need your expert opinions.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Chief D said:
Check eBay. I have considered buying an extra set just in case of grinding a curb. I think the stocks are tight. I like 'em chromed a little better, but not for the price. What do you think of the graphics kits available for the stock rims? They have a graduated grey scale shading that adds more depth to the look. They also say GTO or Pontiac if you like. I am considering them, but need your expert opinions.
Don't care for the graphics. They look cheap to me.

Not a chrome fan either. Besides the fact that's heavy, it's just been done to death.

Been checking e-bay and haven't found a set yet. Looking for someone who is going aftermarket so I can snag them at a decent price. :D

Don't buy a set in case you grind a curb. There's a shop here (and probably where you live) that'll take'm down to bare metal and re-powdercoat them for $150 a wheel. Was about to go this route after I grinded a curb. Then later I wrecked the car on the same side and claimed the new rims on my insurance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.