Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tonight my buddy and I decided to go cruising. He drives a 2002 Mustang GT. As far as mods hes got: K&N CAI, throttle body and intake plenum, headers, full Exhaust with X pipe, Predator tune, short throw shifter and some FAT 315's on the rear. Looks and sounds BAD. They claim his car is making about 350hp. I rode in it a couple of nights before we actually raced and was a little scared that hed get me. We went from a roll several times tonight from about 40-45mph. Each time I pulled three cars on him by 90. He said he hates how fast my car is stock haha. I drive an 06 GTO M6. My mods are an AEM CAI and h-pipe with resonator delete. No tune.

We went from a dig once...Beat him by even more that time. He was spinning bad though. Not sure if those cars have LSD's or not.

I was thoroughly impressed with the Goat's performance tonight because so far this was the first REAL race with a REAL challenge. My dyno tune is this month so that should be fun. LOVE it.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice kill, I'd think it would have been a much closer race.
Maybe my Goat is a factory freak! Wouldn't that be awesome! I doubt it though :rolleyes:

nice, funny he had that bad a of a traction problem w/ the 315s, the couple of people I know with GTs similar to what u described never really impressed me. Not untill the one got a blower, and the other got a 100 shot.
Thats just the thing. When I rode in it, and drove it when he first got it....I was def impressed. Scared even! It def, has a lower torque band and feels faster than my car. Could be the overwhelming exhaust volume. THING IS LOUD. Anyhow, I won by a considerable enough margin to say that between his car and my car is NOT a driver's race. My car is def quicker.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Nice kill and did he ever get his car dynoed to see what his car is actually pumping out? Stock those mustangs are rated at 260-265 hp with similar torque numbers but they really don't have that. I'm sure with the mods he has on there it might have 300+ hp which is still less than what a stock LS1 or LS2 GTO produce. One of my buddies had the same year GT with a few mods similar to those like your friends and it felt quick cause its a smaller and lighter car but never raced him with it since he sold that car.

Was he talking a lot of smack about his car and that he would smoke your GTO?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Nice. I would have thought he would need gears to make it interesting anyway.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
I really doubt that he had 350+hp out of that car thats a gain of almost 100hp just with bolt ons. I drove my friends 04 Mustang GT with CAI, mid-pipes, catback and 315's on the rear. That car was still gutless compared to my GTO back when I had a few bolt ons. I think he had around 300hp at the crank best.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice kill and did he ever get his car dynoed to see what his car is actually pumping out? Stock those mustangs are rated at 260-265 hp with similar torque numbers but they really don't have that. I'm sure with the mods he has on there it might have 300+ hp which is still less than what a stock LS1 or LS2 GTO produce. One of my buddies had the same year GT with a few mods similar to those like your friends and it felt quick cause its a smaller and lighter car but never raced him with it since he sold that car.

Was he talking a lot of smack about his car and that he would smoke your GTO?
No he wasn't talking any smack. He has a lot of a respect for my goat. He loves my car. Before we even raced, he told me that he wouldn't be surprised if I beat him while I was stock.

I really doubt that he had 350+hp out of that car thats a gain of almost 100hp just with bolt ons. I drove my friends 04 Mustang GT with CAI, mid-pipes, catback and 315's on the rear. That car was still gutless compared to my GTO back when I had a few bolt ons. I think he had around 300hp at the crank best.
If you're friend was making near 300hp with just those mods, I dont think it sounds so unlikely that my buddies car is close to 350....even if that is a little optimistic.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
If you're friend was making near 300hp with just those mods, I dont think it sounds so unlikely that my buddies car is close to 350....even if that is a little optimistic.
I don't know what my friend was making, I was saying your friend might be making 300hp. If he was making 350 crank hp and he was a desent driver he could have beat you. Those cars are lighter than the current mustangs. But nice kill anyway.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea I agree. His car weighs something around 3300lbs. Just another reason why I was afraid to race him at first lol. How much can I expect my dyno tune to give me?

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Yea I agree. His car weighs something around 3300lbs. Just another reason why I was afraid to race him at first lol. How much can I expect my dyno tune to give me?
Hard to say, I don't want to say something and your results will be different. Maybe around 25-35hp???

·
Registered
282 Posts
I don't know what my friend was making, I was saying your friend might be making 300hp. If he was making 350 crank hp and he was a desent driver he could have beat you. Those cars are lighter than the current mustangs. But nice kill anyway.
I'm with you the Mustang owner is over estimating his power by about 50 HP.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BTW....just to add to this story. I was only making 328whp at the time LOL. Just to show you how WIDE the gap is between an LS2 Goat and a Stang GT.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Good kill. Even a 99-04 GT with full bolt-ons won't have enough grunt to mess with a LS2 from a roll. They trap 98-100 stock and full bolt-ons might get them to 103. A LS2 GTO is 105+ all day on a good night. From a dig with all those mods and 4.10 gears they'll be hell from a stop for a little bit but by "3rd gear" start saying good bye if you can launch.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Did you ever get the dyno tune? What power are you making now? When I got my tune and Intake/TB ported it gave me 25 RWHP and 18 RWTQ. It also removes the torque management stuff so the car feels faster from a roll. It really woke the car up.

The 4.6 motors are pretty torquey so they tend to feel a little faster. I used to have a 99 GT with just a K&N CAI and flowmasters. It felt like a 12 sec car but in reality it was a high 13 sec car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
the 02 GT only has 260 crank hp. i had a 70mm TB, K&N FIPK II, PRO 5.0 short shifter, pullies, upper plenum spacer, Diablo tune and straight pipes on my 02 GT and didn't have 350hp. he would need his mods to make a 40hp gain just to get 300 at the crank. if he actually had 350 hp it would be his 9.37lbs/hp vs your 9.31lbs/hp.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did you ever get the dyno tune? What power are you making now? When I got my tune and Intake/TB ported it gave me 25 RWHP and 18 RWTQ. It also removes the torque management stuff so the car feels faster from a roll. It really woke the car up.

The 4.6 motors are pretty torquey so they tend to feel a little faster. I used to have a 99 GT with just a K&N CAI and flowmasters. It felt like a 12 sec car but in reality it was a high 13 sec car.
LOL...yea I got the tune. Look for my thread that I posted about it haha.
I gained 35whp and 40rwtq.
363wrhp and 362rwtq

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As an update....this particular mustang just beat an LS1 ram air Trans Am from a roll tonight. From 35 to 80 he put a car and a half on him. The TA driver claims to be making 310 to the wheels. It was also a six speed. That 02 GT has some balls....no doubt about it. The trans am driver couldn't believe he lost.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts