Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to talk about how I dont have a problem with the stock shifter. I like it. I've had mine for about five weeks now. I think it shifts fine in all gears, especially when you shift at higher rpm's. When I shift correctly its smooth and quiet. So what if the throws are longer, you just get used to it, and you adjust and shift faster when needed. I hear some people talk about how they dont like it. Is there anyone else who is ok with it?

·
Registered
439 Posts
I think the 05/06's should have come with the 6l80e or w/e it's called option. The C6's auto trans with the paddle shifters. What fun!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just got finished installing the GMM ripshifter about an hour ago. Let me tell you. If you make this upgrade you will think differently about the stock shifter. I didn't have a huge problem with the stock but I have freind that has the 02 ss with the t56 and a short shifter. After driving his I knew I had to have one. And now that I do I would never have that stock one in a million years. Just my opinion

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
LS2 - Light SpeedX2 said:
I just got finished installing the GMM ripshifter about an hour ago. Let me tell you. If you make this upgrade you will think differently about the stock shifter. I didn't have a huge problem with the stock but I have freind that has the 02 ss with the t56 and a short shifter. After driving his I knew I had to have one. And now that I do I would never have that stock one in a million years. Just my opinion
What a coincidence. I start a thread like this at the same time you are finishing a new install:lol: . Anyway, congrats on your new toy. Sounds like you are more than pleased. Enjoy!:cheers

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
The stock shifter is functional. You can use it to change gears. That's about all the praise I can muster for it. But, I've driven better, much better.

It is slow and clunky with long throws. A 5-3 or even 4-3 downshift is frustratingly slow. If you find it acceptable that's great. Maybe yours behaves better than mine.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I thought the stock shifter was ok. Someone let me checkout their car with the GMM shifter and there's a night and day difference. Mine's on order. Again the stock shifter is ok but I really got to see her shortcomings when I hit the track. Sit in someones thats got the GMM shifter and you'll understand.:cheers

·
Registered
148 Posts
Does the GMM ripshifter have a spring bias to help avoid the 2nd to 5th mis-shift? :cheers

·
Registered
456 Posts

Hey Light Speed! If you don't mind me asking, where did you get it? On-Line?

(Forget it :eek: I just found your other post) :D

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I've done quite a bit of reading about the GMM. I like what I'm hearing, I understand it has a very precise feel to it with alot less play. Gota love that I guess. May have to consider it. I was reading on LS2, that a few people complained about an increase in noise from the transmission, BUT they said the performance you get with this shifter is worth having to hear more transmission noise. I'd be interested in hearing anybody's opinion about the noise issue. :cheers

Nevermind, I know people dont like to focus on the negative.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts