Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got hundreds of pics of Pontiac Stock & SS cars, some when they were new cars, all the way up to present day.

I'll post a few of the older pics first. Then, if there is any interest in seeing more, I'll add some more, 'til I get all the decent ones posted.

If there is no interest, I'll just stop & forget it.

I'm NOT a Pontiac expert, by any means. But, I like Stock/SS Pontiacs, & I have LOTS of pics. May be one of the biggest stash of Pontiac Stock/SS pics anywhere. Don't know.

Some of these cars are famous in Pontiac racing history. Some were just raced locally.

So, I'll begin with some GTO's, from years gone by. Some are rather famous, in Pontiac circles. Some were class & race winners, and some were record holders.

Attachments

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
" Keep them coming!
I agree, keep posting."

OK

Since this is a GTO forum, I'll begin with some '64 GTO's. Because the auto trans in the '64-'66 GTO's was a 2-speed, I haven't run across many of those auto equipped models as serious drag cars. But, I did find one '64, named "Lil 2 Speed". I also have another pic of it, with several trophies it won. So, I suppose it was a serious drag car.

From the pics I've found, most of the 4-speed Tri-Power '64 Stockers ran B/S.

Here are 9 of the '64 GTO's I have pics of. I'm sure there were lots of '64's running at small tracks all over the country, in the mid '60's. The last 2 pics are of the Gay Pontiac 3-car rig. I thought it deserved 2 pics. Gay Pontiac fielded some pretty strong running Pontiacs. The '62 Cat won the A/S class at some big races. As many know, Don Gay went on to drive some Funny Cars, some of which were Pontiac powered.

Attachments

·
Registered
310 Posts
Great pictures bidD!

I’m sure I’m not the only one curious as to how you amassed such a nice collection. Would you mind sharing your story?

Either way, thanks for the nostalgia, please keep them coming.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Where is the book? I want one. (y)
Don't have 'em in book form. It's just LOTS of pics, in LOTS of folders, on my Chromebook.

But, I'll continue to work 'em up into posts, and will eventually have a few hundred here, unless I'm stopped for some reason, or this site shuts down.

Obviously, not all my Pontiac Stock/SS pics are of GTO's. I assume it's OK to include other Pontiac A-bodies, like Lemans, T-37, Lemans Wagons, & '74 Venturas, along with the GTO's ?

What about other Pontiacs, like Birds, Big Cars, & Pontiac powered GT Super Stockers. I'll post as many or as few different Pontiac body styles as ya'll want.

·
Registered
6,005 Posts
Don't have 'em in book form. It's just LOTS of pics, in LOTS of folders, on my Chromebook.

But, I'll continue to work 'em up into posts, and will eventually have a few hundred here, unless I'm stopped for some reason, or this site shuts down.

Obviously, not all my Pontiac Stock/SS pics are of GTO's. I assume it's OK to include other Pontiac A-bodies, like Lemans, T-37, Lemans Wagons, & '74 Venturas, along with the GTO's ?

What about other Pontiacs, like Birds, Big Cars, & Pontiac powered GT Super Stockers. I'll post as many or as few different Pontiac body styles as ya'll want.
Do 'em all. Who doesn't like ALL Pontiacs? If it is a Pontiac and Pontiac powered, bring it on!

(y)

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"...curious as to how you amassed such a nice collection. Would you mind sharing your story?..."

Don't mind sharing my story, at all. But, I'll try to give a VERY short version in this post.

Was driving an 18-wheeler down the road, back in 2004. Next thing I knew, I was in the ER. They were asking me what had happened. I didn't have a clue. Seems I'd blacked out, while driving down the road, and the truck had gone down in the ditch & up onto a railroad track.

I wasn't seriously injured, but because I'd had what they called a "seizure", I couldn't drive a commercial vehicle for 10 years. So, I had plenty of time to kill. At that time, all I knew about a computer was which part the "mouse" was & why they call it that. I decided to build a low budget bracket car. But when I tried to order some parts catalogs, like I used in the old days, I discovered that most all the "catalogs" were now online. So, I started going to the local library to learn how to use a computer. Even took a class there. And a guy who worked there was very patient with me & helped me learn the basics I needed to go to the parts sites.

Then a Pontiac friend helped me find a good buy on a '74 Ventura bracket car, from racingjunk.com. He also told me about the PY Pontiac forum. I didn't know such sites existed. There, I found out about how to look up info on current NHRA Stock/SS drag racing results. I also discovered that lots of Pontiac drag car pics can be found by a simple Google search.

Then I discovered that lots of racers have FB pages, on which they post pics of their cars. Then there a FB pages about Stock & SS drag racing, which have lots of pics. Well hey, this is getting too long already. Let's just say I've been downloading Pontiac Stock/SS pics from every source I have found, for several years now. With all the pics of cars & parts I have, I had no idea these little Chromebooks had that much storage. But I just keep stuffin 'em in here.

OK, I'll stop now. :)

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's some '65's.

Check out #10. How many SS/K '65 GTO ragtops have ya'll seen ?

Attachments

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's some '66 models. Seems the '66 Tri-Power GTO's did pretty good on the track. The Royal & Knafel '66 models ran really strong, & I suppose are the most famous of all the '66 GTO drag cars.

These are 10 of my favorite '66 pics. Somehow I especially like the pic of the Knafel 2-car rig, shown in pic #9. Appears to be 2 '66 GTO's, with slightly different paint schemes. Between these 2 cars, they won lots of trophies in '66. I have what I assume is a famous pic of one of 'em with trophies sitting all over it. I refer to it as the Knafel "Trophy Car". I'm sure I'll post it in a later post.

Attachments

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
For some reason, I have not found a lot of good pics of '67 Stock & SS GTO's. I assume the reason is that the Firebird came out in '67, & more Pontiac racers went with a Bird, rather than the GTO.

Since I don't have a lot of good '67 pics, I'll begin this post with 2 more pics of Knafel '66 GTO's. The 2nd pic is of one of 'em before it got a fancy paint job.

Pic #3 is of a '67 which was running Super Stock. I think it ran a few races, back in the late 20th century. I'll look it up & post a link to a Q-list. The driver was Jay Cason. I think somebody told me who owned the car, but I forgot.

Can't think of any '67's I've run across that were running Stock, this century, or even the last part of the 20th century. Actually don't know when the last competitive '67 GTO Stocker was active.

As can be seen in the last 2 pics, the Limelighter '67 was a nat record holder. Those last 2 pics were taken at a recent car show.

Attachments

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Will start the '68 GTO post with the Hurst Shifter 'vert.

Some of these were obviously run in the earlier years. Some in the 21st century.

I think 2 of these pics are of the "Wild Turkey" car, which I think belonged to Don Turk, long time Pontiac racer, who I'll mention a couple of more times in this thread.

The car in the #9 pic set a nat record, in the 10's. IIRC, I read it was the 1st Pontiac powered GTO Stocker with a record in the 10's. And, it is the only '68 GTO Stocker I'm aware of that is still actively racing. The new owner is doing some engine repairs/upgrades over the Winter, including a new cam. The man's daughter does the driving. They have been running bracket, but saw this car for sale & decided to give Stock Elim a try.

The car in pic #10 also made the US Nats 128 car field, at least a couple of times. The owner is Tim Gillespie. I'll mention him again, later in the thread. He runs a Pontiac powered Super Gas car. He also has a 10-sec '68 Bird Stocker which I'll cover, later.

Attachments

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Well, there have been LOTS of '69 GTO Stockers. Lots of Pontiac dealers either fielded or sponsored '69's, especially Judge models.

So, I'll break this into probably 3 posts. This one will be for Judge models, that were what I call "orange". The next post will be for Judges that were not orange, along with some that were orange, but the pics are b&w.

Attachments

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
OK, I think these 1st 2 were orange, but the pics are obviously b&w.

Then we have some that were black, white, silver, & custom.

The last 3 pics are of the black Judge which Royce Fowler bought new. We took these pics @ Amarillo, back in around 1976. The race was the IHRA World Nationals. The car was running an IHRA SS class which allowed an aftermarket hood scoop. That's why you see a hood scoop on it. It has been restored for the show circuit.

Attachments

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Here are some non-Judge '69 GTO's.

IIRC, Dave Pruden was the E/S class winner @ Indy '73.

Angeles & McCarthy ran a '69 in SS. I think it went thru several paint changes. There were some pics of it in at least one of their Pontiac Musclecar Performance books. You can see it at the top of the front cover, in this ad.

Pics 5 & 6 are of my original '69. #5 was in '73, when I 1st started racing it on a regular basis. Pulled it to the races with a 4-door '68 Caddy & a tow bar. #6 was after about half the '74 season, & included all the trophies I'd won. I'd already pulled the engine & put it into a '68 Bird, for my girlfriend to drive. But, there'll be a lot more about her racing, later in the thread. I wanna cover all the Pontiac powered GTO's first, since this is the GTO site.

A real clean 1st class '69 GTO belongs to Art Peterson. It has also gone thru several paint changes. Here are 2 of 'em.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,005 Posts
Here will be some non-Judge '69 GTO's.
I think it would help if you had a post that explained the Super Stock requirements, and what the different classes were and how you chose what class to run. Pull out your rule books from the past.
Let's see how the GTO began when the Super Duties first came on the scene, and Wagner raced for Royal and introduced the "Bobcat" option assembled by Royal Pontiac. And we can't forget Arnie Beswick in the early mix.

(y)

Car Land vehicle Automotive parking light Vehicle Tire

1 - 20 of 146 Posts