Pontiac GTO Forum banner
81 - 100 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 · (Edited)
Now I'll begin to talk about my 1st Pontiac hero, Truman Fields. I first heard of him in '73. I'd subscribed to the National Dragster paper. So, when the Indy results issue came out, I saw that a '68 Bird had won Stock. But, in the last few years I've learned a lot more about Truman that I never would have known without the internet.

The earliest record I have of him winning anything was a class win @ Indy in '71. Then there's a pic of what I assume was a class win @ the '72 Summer Nats. Then of course he won class & Stock Elim @ Indy '73. Also set a new nat record in the Stock final. I think that record was a 12.06. After giving that some thought, I decided that there is no way he could have run that quick with the hard street tires like I ran. But recently I read that during the later part of the '73 season, NHRA allowed Stockers to run the same soft M&H tires I ran in '74. That made sense to me, cause those tires seemed to be nothing but soft compound slicks with 2 very thin shallow grooves, just barely enuff to say they HAD grooves. Pic 4 shows how I remember those tires.

I found an Indy class winners list from 1971, shown in pic #5. He was the D/S winner @ 11.83. It sorta makes you wonder how his 12.06 ET could have broken the C/S rec, in '73, if he could run quicker in '71, in a lower class. But, after learning a little more about that time period in Stock class racing, I think I can explain it.

NHRA really changed the Stock rules for the 1972 season. And they changed the weight breaks to where Truman's Bird ran in A/S, rather than D/S. So, all the nat records were wiped out & set by NHRA at minimums, 'til somebody ran for the rec in their class & went quicker than the minimum. According only to the info on pic #8, it appears as tho he set the A/S record in '72. Sorry about the quality of the pic. But is was real small & my efforts to enlarge it make it pretty fuzzy. I'll try to find some better proof of this record.

Then, in '73, the rules were the same as '72, but the weight breaks were changed back closer to what they had been before '72. So, all the records had to be set to minimums, again. So, in '73, I don't know what the C/S rec or min was, at the time of the Indy Stock final. Anyhow, according the ND account, his final round 12.06 WAS the new C/S rec. The RU car also set it's nat rec.

If I find more info for this post, I'll edit & make the changes.

Attachments

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Attention !!!

We interrupt the previously scheduled program in order to bring you this just breaking news.

A nat record list from 1979 was just posted on the Class Racer forum.

The E/S record was held by the McKinney '68 Bird, which we'll take a closer look at soon.

The E/SA record was held by the Rock Running '71 T-37, which has been mentioned here. It's the car that is still being raced by Don Turk.

The N/S record was held by Raymond Simmons, in a '74 Ventura. It was set the the Laplace, LA track. That was a track near New Orleans. We ran our '68 Bird Stocker there once, in '75. TJ was driving. She got a trophy for the E/SA class win. We'd also run State Capitol at Baton Rouge, the night before, where she'd also won E/SA.. I probably wouldn't remember this little bit of trivia, but she recorded it in our racing scrap book.

It was significant to us because it was our first built-from-scratch Stocker, & it was the 1st time the car ran in the 12's. We also have a pic of those 2 E/SA win trophies in the scrapbook.

We also took the Bird & my '69 Goat to the '75 points race @ Laplace. But, Wesley(a notoriously picky NHRA tech guy) pointed out a few very small items that were not legal, which I couldn't fix away from home. The radio holes in the dash were not covered. Some small chrome strips were missing. I didn't have the correct factory fan on the Bird. Hey, I didn't even know what the correct fan was. I'd just used the clutch fan off one of the '68 Bird parts cars I'd bought. So we just watched, then came home. THAT incident was a big reason why I never tried to run Stock again after that season.

I've noticed that Stock tech has gotten a LOT looser in recent years. Randi Lyn's '67 Bird has been running without front turn sig lamps, for years. I can assure ya'll Wesley would not have let the car run like that, back then. A '72 Bird we'll look at ran with a Formula hood & T/A fenders for years, The car won several nat events. Nowadays, it runs with a T/A shaker hood, but no T/A wheel well flares. Wesley would not have let it run, back in the '70's.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 · (Edited)
That E/S rec for the McKinney Bird alerted me that I should probably break into the Truman Fields Bird story & 1st post about the McKinney Birds. After that, I'll come back to the Fields story.

Sometime after Truman's big Indy win, maybe as late as '76, Truman put his Bird up for sale, as seen in the ad shown in pic #1. Well, as the story goes, Roy McKinney & his son, Mike, wanted to buy Truman's Bird. But, rather than pay full price, they wanted to do part cash plus trade him their '68 Bird & a motorcycle. If the account is correct, Truman accepted the deal, & the McKinney's took possession of Truman's Bird. Here's the article where I got some of this info. I've since found out that SOME of this info is NOT correct. The only parts of it that I can verify is that the 2 Birds did change hands. The article also contains some info I'll include when I continue the Truman story.

Well, the McKinney's took their newly acquired Bird to Indy in '77. Mike drove it to the B/S class win & the Stock Elim win ! The pic I have of the class win is poor quality.

I think I've already mentioned that M.i.c.k Leiferman was Indy RU 3 years in a row, in his multi-year rec holding '71 GTO.

I think the article pictured in pic #6 is interesting. It's a newspaper article dated May 23, 1997. It has a pic of the McKinney Bird when it still had the "Hard Times" name on it, running E/S @ the Gator Nats. The caption seems to indicate that Mike won Stock Eliminator then.

BUT, the nat event winner & RU results I have do NOT show Mike getting the win or RU, in '77, '78 , '79, or '80. I suppose he MAY have gotten the E/S class win, maybe ?

Maybe they were referring to his '77 Indy win, but used a pic of the same car @ the Gators, running a different class. I'll check into it a little closer.

At some point, the McKinney Stocker was Blue. I don't know if it was the Fields' car, repainted, or some other, possible one they built. One of the best pics I currently have of that blue Stocker is a B&W pic.

I'm not sure exactly how many other wins they picked up with their Stocker. Mike won the '85 Spring Nats.

Attachments

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 · (Edited)
Now about the McKinney SS Birds.

I don't know if they converted the Blue Stocker over to a Super Stocker, or not. My guess would be yes. But I don't know for sure.

Anyhow, it appears to have had the same blue color scheme. Not sure what they won with it or when.

Then I have several pics of a red McKinney '68 SS Bird. Assume it's the same car, with red paint. But they may have sold the blue car & built the red car. Don't know.

There are some pretty cool pics of the red car doing wheelies @ Indy. One of 'em is featured in a Competition Cams ad.

Will check the nat event winner's lists, to see if they won any, in SS.

In '87, Mike won the Southern Nats & the Keystone Nats.

Mike's son, Marty, now has the car. It's been painted orange. He still races it occasionally, along with his bracket car.

Roy was driving it @ Indy, back in 1998 & '99. In '99, he got bumped from the 128 car qualifying field, by some slower class winners. That was the rule. All class winners make the field, even if it means they bump cars that are quicker, against their index.

Attachments

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 · (Edited)
In 1975, there were at least 3 Pontiacs that held a nat rec.

M.i.c.k Leiferman held the G/SA rec, in a '71 GTO. Charlene Wood held the I/SA rec, in a '72 Lemans Wagon. And, although it's not on this mid season list, John Corcoran set a a G/S rec twice in '75, with his '72 GTO, which was the Former Truman Fields' rec holding SS car.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 · (Edited)
OK, now back to Truman Fields & his 2nd '68 Bird.

I've already explained how Truman got the former Roy & Mike McKinney '68 Bird. Truman & his friend Tommy Olson, with help from Ellison Engine Service, upgraded the Bird & got it to run a little quicker than his 1st Bird. So, in '77, Truman got the Indy C/S class win. Pic #1 below shows the car, Truman, & Tommy, with the class win trophy.

Pic #2 is the only other pic I have of the car, with it's green bottom & black vinyl top. I assume that is the color it was when they got it from the McKinney's.

In May '77, Truman set the B/S nat record @ 11.31.

As ya'll will see, Truman removed the vinyl top & had at least 2 different paint jobs on it after that. I think the DRC article said he worked for IBM & they moved him around the country quite a bit. He mentioned being on the East Coast & running IHRA for a while. Did real good there.

He was in div 5 for a while, I assume probably workin in Denver. His div 5 number was 5025. Then he was on the West Coast, in div 7, with the number 7025. During this time period, the car had a multi-colored paint job.

Then he moved to Florida, where I think he retired. The car had #2600 on it & was then burgundy colored.

Truman had a long & very successful racing career, driving mostly the '68 Birds.

But, the story is not quite over. Got one more post to go.

Attachments

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 · (Edited)
OK, I was very confused about some of what I'm about to post. May still not have it EXACTLY correct. But, maybe it's close enuff. There was a "Shootout" in one of the High Performance Pontiac mags. In it, Truman was driving a green '68. The "Hard Times" name was different than it had been on the 1st 2 green Birds he raced.

I ASSUMED that it was the McKinney car, which he raced in '77 & many year since. BUT, I recently found out that somewhere along the way, he had managed to buy back his original '68 Bird. So, he got it back into racing condition. I've read that it ran some in Stock & some in pure stock. The pics I have show it running PS. Pic #2 shows 2 green Birds, which both have "Hard Times" lettering, in different style script. I assumed the pic was of Truman's original Bird & the McKinney Bird. But, when I asked, somebody said the Bird in the far lane was NOT the Mckinney Bird. I don't know, for sure.

OK, that original car has now had a complete resto, & is now on the show circuit, as I understand it.

Now, for the former McKinney Bird. Truman made some sort of a deal with Todd Hoven, to race it, wearing a resto paint/lettering job, making it look like it did when Truman won the '73 US Nats.

Todd did this. At 1st, it had a 4-speed in it, but was quickly changed over to an auto. It ran in the 10's & did some pretty big wheelies.

He was #83 qualifier, with a 10.59, in the 128 car field, @ the '15 US Nats.

He won this div 1 race, in 2016.

He qualified #17, with a 10.53 ET, @ the '16 Atco Nat Open.

He also got the D/SA class win @ that race.

Well, I could post more results, but ya'll get the picture. It was a mid-10-sec car, & one of about a half dozen or so quickest '68 Bird Stockers in the country.

After racing it that way for a while, it became his. Don't know if he just bought it outright or what. Anyhow, he & his brother, Duane, raced it for a while. But both have been racing other cars recently. Have read that Todd still plans to upgrade & race it some time in the future.

Attachments

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 · (Edited)
I mentioned that there are a half dozen or so 10 sec '68 Birds in the country.

I'll now mention some of the others. One that did real well for a couple of years belonged to Chris Stephenson. I think it made lots of passes in the lower half of the 10 sec zone. He won races & got class wins.

He was #1 qualifier at this '20 div 4 points race, with a 10.65. He ran F/SA, E/SA, D/SA, & C/SA. You can do that by adding or removing weight, and switching from D-ports to round ports.

He got the D/SA win @ the '19 Vegas Dodge Nats. Randi Lyn was RU. 10.72 is quick for D/SA, in the Vegas altitude.

LAS VEGAS 2 - Stock Eliminator Class Eliminations Finals

He was #3, @ more than a sec under his D/SA index @ this Summit Nats race.

He won Stock @ the '17 Buckeye Fuel Wars race.

He won the Stock/SS combo @ this '17 NMCA race.

He was #1 qualifier @ the '19 Pomona Finals race, with a 10.37. Don't know if that was his quickest time, ever, or not.

Here's a video of the 3rd round of Stock qualifying @ the '15 US Nats, I think I counted 8 Pontiacs, most of which we'll be talkin about later, Don Turk's '74 GA is also in it. We already mentioned it. The quickest Pontiac Stocker to ever run is in it. The 1st Pontiac to show up is a '68 Bird, @ aprox the 3:25 point. I'll talk about it later. I think they allowed 180 cars to qualify for the 128 car field. So, I suppose there are near 90 pairs on this video. Some may enjoy it.

Here's the final round of a nat event Chris won.

Attachments

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 · (Edited)
By the way, last I heard, that Chris Stephenson Bird is for sale, for $45K.

The next '68 Bird we'll look at belongs to Tim Gillespie. Ya'll may remember that name from the '68 GTO post. Tim ran a real nice one. Tim Also runs a Pontiac powered Super Gas car. I think they call the body a '33 Ford roadster.

For the last few years, Tim's sister, Julie Biermann, has been driving the Bird. It runs pretty consistent high 10's, but has run some 10.50's. It was the 1st Pontiac seen on the '15 US Nats video, on the last post.

It has made the 128 car field @ Indy at least 5 times. Tim made it once, & Julie 4 times. Her quickest qualifying time was 10.55, running D/SA, in 2020.

She was #2 qualifier, with a 10.56, @ the 2020 div 3 points race held @ Indy. Randi Lyn was #4.

LODRS 3-2 - Stock Eliminator Final Qualifying, Session #2 Order

She was the highest Pontiac powered qualifier @ the '17 Midwest Nats, @ #15.

She won this div 3 race, in 2016. Had an easy E/SA heads-up final run with a slower car.

Attachments

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 · (Edited)
The next 10 sec '68 Bird we'll take a look at belongs to Leo Glasbrenner.

Leo has an auto trans business in CA. Builds & sell's parts for the Metric 200 trans that a LOT of Stockers are running. They are lighter & run a little quicker, because of lighter rotating weight. Leo did also race a Pontiac powered 4th gen GT SS Bird, we'll look at later.

His '68 has run well under 10.50. Not sure of the best ET. Usually qualified well. He didn't race it last year. Had it up for sale. He told me that since it didn't sell, he had it apart & is making some upgrades. Will try to get it to the track this season & attempt to sell it again. Best I could tell, he'll try to get around $60k for it. Comes with a back-up RA2 engine. Has pretty much the best of everything.

I know for sure he won a nat event with it. I'll post the video of that final round. Click on the Chris Stephenson video. Then scroll down & click on the red Bird at the 2018 Toyota Sonoma Nationals race.

Leo picked up the C/SA class win at the '18 Vegas nat event. Scott & Brad Burton also won their class. We'll look at both cars in the 2nd gen section.

He was #1 qualifier @ this div 7 race.

I'm sure the car had lots of other wins. But that's enuff to prove it was a strong running '68 Bird Stocker.

Attachments

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 · (Edited)
Here's a strong running silver '68 Bird, driven by Bob Aceves.

Haven't seen it on any lists now in a few years. It ran some mid 10's.

Bob qualified #1 @ this small race. Adjusted for the track altitude, he ran more than a sec under his index. I've read that his Bird MAY have been responsible for the 8hp hit NHRA gave to the '68 Bird 330hp engine. As far as I know, his Bird was quicker than any other 330hp Bird Stocker, at the time. But a year or 2 ago, NHRA reduced the hp factor by 5hp, from 338 to 333.

By the way, Bob won that race. Notice in this link the name Bob Mulry. You'll see it again in this thread. Bob Mulry and some of the Aceves guys had some sort of team called "A & M Motorsports". Bob Mulry drove the quickest Pontiac powered Stocker, against it's index, that I'm aware of. Lots of #1 qualifiers & several times more than 1.5 sec under his index. Also set a nat record with the car, in 3 different Stock classes. I love to talk about that car. But, that's later on in the thread. Notice that this Class Racer post was made by Bryan Phillips. Ya'll may remember that he's the guy who has the 10 sec '67 Bird, which he raced mostly in CA. So, he probably knew all these guys well. He called the team "A & M Racing". But the lettering in some of the pics I posted show "Motorsports", rather than "Racing".

He was #8 qualifier @ the 2015 Vegas Summit Nats.

He ran a 10.516, which was 1.034 sec under, @ the 2017 Pomona Finals race, which was good enuff for #4 position. .
POMONA 2 - Stock Eliminator Final Qualifying, Session #3 Order

He was #1 qualifier at this 2014 Vegas div 7 race, @ 1.111 under. Qualified more than a sec under many times.

Attachments

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 · (Edited)
We'll stay with silver '68's for this post.

But, we'll switch to a stick Bird. Adam Strang prefers a Stick. They're a lot of fun. But not many drivers can cut consistently good lights, with a stick. Back in the '60's & '70's, lots of Pontiacs ran a stick. MOST '64-'66 GTO's ran a stick, because the auto was a 2-speed, which some called a Super Turbine 300. Nowadays, the rules allow racers to switch over to a 3-speed auto.

Anyhow, Adam is the only Pontiac powered Stock driver I know of that runs a stick. And his bird is quick-with-a-stick ! :)

He think he set a nat rec with his stick '68 GTO. I know he set one with his Bird. I think he's run well below 10.50. He even ran a 350HO engine, which went 10.80's ! I know he's run F/S, E/S, & D/S. I think the nat record was in F/S.

The #2 pic below is a pic of a motor which I assume he ran, at some time. Looks to have the RA air cleaner set-up on it. It has #62 heads. NHRA will allow #16, #31, or #62 heads on the '68 RA1 engine.

I'll look up some performance results & post some links. But, I've got 10 pics ready, so I'll post 'em now.

Some who have never raced may not know what the little building in pic #10 is for. It's where you pick up your time slip, telling you your ET, mph, & whether you won or not. Most slips have lots more info than that. Back in the old days, at some tracks, all we got was the ET, during time trials. Then during eliminations, the slip would say whether we won or lost. After the fancy computerized systems came along, lots more info was included about your run.

In '75, when we were running Stock, the staff at our local track just dropped the slips down a white PVC pipe, attached to the corner of the timing tower. They drooped into a box about the size of a cigar box, maybe slightly bigger. Some racers did not come get their slips. So, we usually had to dig thru lots of slips to find ours. That's just a little extra racing trivia for ya'll, @ no extra charge ! :)

Here's the details of the rec he set with his '68 GTO.

" F/S 10.97 04/16/05 Adam Strang - Jericho, VT
'68 Pont GTO Mohnton, PA "

About that record, he said: "...first GTO in Stock Eliminator to go 10`s..."

He also won the Dutch Classic that year !

These are in random order, as I find 'em. He got the C/S class win at last years New England Nats, Ran a slower car, but let it air out a bit with a 10.41 @ 127 mph.

Won D/S @ the '19 "Baby Gators", with a 10.472.

@ The 2020 "Baby Gators", He had to run in the combo stick class, because there were no other D/S cars. He won the combo class, running a 10.376, which was 1.124 sec under his D/S index. That's the quickest time I can remember for the Bird.

He got the D/S class win @ the '17 4-Wide Nats.

Was #4 @ this div 1 race, with a 10.528.

#9 here with a 10.54.

Picked up the E/S win @ the '15 Vegas Toyota Nats, on a big holeshot !

Well, I suppose that's enuff to show that Adam's Stick Bird is Quick ! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 · (Edited)
These 2 Birds are not as quick as the previous ones.

But the 1st one has run some 10's. It runs mostly up North, in div 5. It's raced by Ronald Prince.

@ this race he was #36, with a 10.82.

The 2nd one is raced by Brent Flynn. I especially like his car, because it was a low budget build. He was running brackets with it, then decided to do a low budget Stocker build. He put the entire build on a Class Racer thread. And he did eventually get it to run a little quicker than his index. I really enjoyed keeping up with his build. Some of ya'll may enjoy it. So I'll look it up & post a link.

Brent only ran a couple of tenths below his index. But, unless you have a same-class heads-up run, that's plenty quick to win rounds & races. There have been lots of races won by cars that couldn't run 1/2 sec below their index. Hey, you could win by dialing your index & running it.

He ran an 11.47 at this race, on an 11.70 index.

Attachments

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 · (Edited)
OK, let's look at some '69 Birds, mostly from days gone by. .

The #8 Bird is still being raced in the Super Street class. Here's a race where it was running Stock, Ran 11.22 on an 11.70 index.

The #1 Stephens Bird is being restored.

Attachments

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 · (Edited)
OK, here's one of the only 2 quick '69 Bird Stockers I know of, in this century.

I suppose one main reason for that is because NHRA factors the same D-port 400 engines higher in '69 Birds than in '68 Birds.

For example: The 330hp 400 engine is rated @ 333hp in a '68 auto trans Bird. Same 330hp engine is rated 345hp in a '69 Bird. That same engine, which is factory rated @ 350hp in a GTO, is only rated 325hp by NHRA.

A very interesting fact is that the '69 Bird 330hp engine hp factor was increased to 345hp, in 2014, Since this Bird was the only quick '69 Bird running at that time, it had to be reason NHRA gave it a big hp "hit".

We'll take a look at the numbers this Bird was making, & see exactly why it got the big hit.

The car belongs to John Schloe, out on the West coast. He's raced it for a long time. I've read that he used to run a the RAIV engine. But, when he cracked one of the heads, he switched over to a D-port engine.

Just found this video. Shows John makin a couple of mid 10 sec passes.

He has been running 10.50's for at least 10 years. I assume his best time is in the 10.40's. But I'm not sure of that. Here's a race where he ran 10.49.

Back in 2010, he won the pacific SPORTSnationals.

FONTANA - Stock Eliminator Final, Round 6 Eliminations

John would be much more competitive if NHRA hadn't given his engine such a big hit. But, hey, a mid-10's '69 Bird Stocker is fairly competitive.

Attachments

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 · (Edited)
Now it's time to talk about what is possibly the most unique Pontiac powered Stocker of this century.

As far as I know, it's a one-of-a-kind.

Obviously it's not a real one & it's not painted the factory color, yet, but it's a '69 RAIV powered Trans Am. As far as I know, it has the only pair of RAIV heads currently being raced in Stock Elim. And it's definitely the only '69 T/A look body I've ever seen on a track, as a competitive Stocker.

That's right. It has the hood, fender vents, & rear deck spoiler. For last season it was painted flat black. Some thought it was primer. But I don't think NHRA allows cars to run in primer, at the big races.

Anyhow, it belongs to long time Chevy racer, Bruce Noland. I really don't know why a Chevy guy would build a car like this. But I assume he has his reasons. He ran it several times last year & did get it down into the mid 10's.

I'll look up some of the performance numbers & post 'em. But I'll 1st post the pics I have. I assume everybody on this site knows what a '69 T/A looked like. But to refresh your memories, I've included a T/A front pic.

OK, Bruce made several mid 10 sec passes. In this div 2 race, he qualified with a 10.53 & dialed a 10.45. In round 1, he cut a real bad light, and broke out with a 10.44, trying to catch up. So, as far as I know, that was his best competition pass. That makes his car one of the very few Pontiac powered Stockers that have run that quick, in competition.

LODRS 2-6 - Stock Eliminator Round 1 Eliminations

I'm wondering if he'll paint it white and/or continue racing it, or sell it to some Pontiac racer, & go back to his Chevy.

We'll see.

Attachments

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 · (Edited)
Now for some old 1970 Birds.

I only found pics of 2 birds, that I could ID as a Stock or SS '70 model.

The 1st one is a T/A. Only reason I think it's a '70 model is because it's marked C/S. A Ram Air '70 model is the only 2nd gen I can think of that would run that class.

One of the pics shows the Garber Bird in the staging lanes, closely followed by a 1st gen Bird. Another pic shows it running against the White brothers GTO. Garber also ran a '69 GTO.

Attachments

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 · (Edited)
OK, now we'll talk about the quickest Pontiac powered Stock EVER !

I think 10-teens is the quickest time recorded in a Stock Elim race. But, in Stock legal trim, it recorded a high 9, at a bracket race. Don't think any other Pontiac powered Stocker has come close.

The car of course was the '70 B/SA RAIV powered Formula, raced by long time Pontiac racer Scott Burton, of Golden Colorado. Scott had raced other classes with early 2nd gen Formulas, which we'll talk about later. In fact, for all I know, he may have raced all those classes with the same Bird. It pretty easy to make the slight changes needed to legally run the '70-'73 Bird bodies as any one of those year models you want to run. I suppose you can also change out the correct body pieces & run 'em as a T/A or Formula.

For those who haven't read it, I think you'll find this article about Scott's B/SA Bird very interesting.

I'll edit & add the wins as I find 'em.

He won the '11 Mile-High nats, @ his home track. It was an All-B/SA heads-up final.

DENVER - Stock Eliminator Final, Round 6 Eliminations

He won this '12 div 7 race. It was an All-Pontiac final. The RU was a guy Scott helped build his car, which was a 455 powered '73 Formula, which we'll talk about later. They were #4 & #5 qualifiers @ this race.

Won the '15 Vegas Toyota Nats.

Won this div 6 double-breakout race in '17.

RU @ this '18 div 7 race.

Got a holeshot class win @ this '18 Vegas nat event

In the B/SA class final @ the '19 Baby Gators, the new owner of the car ran a 10.135. That MAY be it's quickest pass in Stock Elim competition. Not sure.

Well, I could go on & on with race results. But, ya'll get the picture. It was the quickest Pontiac Stocker ever & won lots of events.

Attachments

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 · (Edited)
Now for 1971 Birds.

From what I've read the 455HO engine was a winner the 1st year they were on the track. Seems they dominated the H/S & H/SA classes. class. I think I read about an H/S class final with Gary Moore's "Acre Maker" Bird against Max Sterling's "White Lightning" Bird. Max won that round. But Gary's Bird did pick up some wins. Ya'll may remember that Gary was a div 4 points champ & nat record holder, in a '61 Pontiac.

One of the few ways I can tell an original '71 Bird is by the front fender vents. As most of you probably know, these vents are aprox 3-4" tall & maybe 10-12" long. Have never measured one. Anyhow, NHRA has never seemed to care whether you run these on the early 2nd gens, or not. I've seen one quick Formy, running as a '73 model, which we'll talk about later, that has been running the '71 vents for several years. But, it does have the '73 grills. As many here probably know, the 70-'71 grills had small squares, the '72's had a honeycomb pattern, & the '73's had slightly larger rectangle shaped holes.

Anyhow, the main reason I brought that up is because I can't see any vents on the "Viking" fenders, in pic #10. The reason I included it in this batch of '71's is because it was marked up in the H/SA class. The '70 model 400 4-barrel engines would have put a '70 Bird in a higher class. And the Birds didn't get the 455, in '70. H was the Stock class most of the 71 455HO powered Birds ran, back then, from the info I've seen. So, I'm gonna say the Viking Bird was running as a '71 model. Could be wrong.

Remember I told ya'll that Scott Burton had raced Birds entered as a '71 & '72 models. Well, here a '71 @ the '04 US Nats, qualified #59, @ more than a sec under it's index. By that time, NHRA had raised the hp factor considerably, because of the quick times the 455HO Birds were layin down.

I won't attempt to look up & post his wins driving a '71. If anybody is interested, all you have to do is go to DRC & do a search for Scott Burton. That'll locate some of his wins. He was also on the Q-list of most of the US Nats races listed on DRC. Also, he never hardly missed the Mile-High Nats near his hometown. I think it's always in July. He and his son Brad also raced at the Vegas races. They've held 2 a year for quite a while, as well as smaller div 7 races.

#9 is the Axemaker Bird. I think Sam Reuland was driving in this pic. It currently has a new owner, who's name is Johnson, IIRC. He & his son are supposed to race it.

Attachments

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 · (Edited)
Now for '72 Birds.

There are several to mention. 1st I'll mention again that Scott Burton ran a Bird as a '72 at some races, before his son Brad started driving one. Brad has won so much with his '72 that I'll devote the next post to it.

So, for this post, I'll see how many other '72 Birds I can find. I'll start with the Stockers.

The 1st one that comes to mind was built & raced by Tommy Olson. He was Truman Fields' sidekick & helper, back when Truman was racing the Bird he got from the McKinney's. Tommy built the '72 after Truman moved. He said that he did pretty good with it, with a lot of help from Ellison Engine service.

Gary Wood raced a 455HO '72. I reckin most of ya'll remember that he built 2 different '72 "Ton-a-Fun" wagons. He was driving this Bird, while Charlene was driving one of the wagons. She was winner & him RU in the Bird, @ one race.

Larry Maxwell & his wife ran a blue '72 Formy, for a while, out on the West Coast. Not sure if anybody raced it after that, or not. Probably did. I'll try to find out for sure.

Lee Bannister raced a '72. It had T/A fenders, but a Formula hood. But, it passed tech. He won quite a few races including at least 3 nat events. He got back-to-back wins @ the Gators.

Bill Foder raced it next. He put a T/A shaker hood on it, but did not add the T/A wheel well flares. But it passed tech. I have a pic of it from a 2020 race.

Attachments

81 - 100 of 146 Posts