Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up guys? I'm looking to get new tires for my goat since the ones on it are 13 years old :eek2:. It's currently running 215/70R15's on the front and 275/60R15's on the rear. It has the 15" rally II wheels. I know these aren't stock sizes, but I would just like a reference as to what stock sizes were. Does anyone know what the conversion of the older system would be in terms of 2xx/xxR15?

I like the way the rears look, but I'm thinking about going a little wider on the fronts, maybe 225 or 235 and dropping down the sidewall ratio to 60-65. However, I want to be sure there won't be any rubbing by going wider. The car is 100% stock as far as suspension goes.

Finally, can anyone recommend a good set of summer performance tires? It currently has BFGoodrich Radial T/A's. These tires have been great, but just wondering if anyone has input on better performing tires? I see a lot of GTO's with Goodyear Eagle 1's?? Not completely sure of the model.

Thanks for any and all input guys!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The stock tires on a 1970 GTO were G78-14 which is the same size as 205/75 R15. What are your front and rear wheel width's?
To be completely honest, I'm not sure. Is there a way to check with the tires on?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is a code chart for Pontiac wheels, the wheel code may be located next the valve stem if you have a set of original Pontiac wheels. The width of your tires are determined by the width of your wheels.

Pontiac Wheel Applications
The rear wheels have the code "HM" so according to your link that would be a 15x7. I can't seem to find any codes on the front wheels. I do see random numbers around the valve stems, not sure what they indicate though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts