Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WHat's the best practice when you are going to store your car. Meaning the car will be sttting for a few weeks at a time then maybe driven around town, the sit, etc. I'll be starting the car once a week and it's on a trickle charger. Is it best to have a full tank of gas with stabil added, or almost empty? Does it make a difference.?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I like a full tank with stabil, as there is little to no air n the tank and as we know, it is oxygen that promotes the corrosion. I would start it to full operating temperature, or you risk introducing moisture into the system which will not be completely burned off.

I put heavy socks over the pipes to prevent critters form nesting inside...

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
While I normally agree with Mr Nightshade on almost everything, if you are only letting it sit for a few weeks at a time, you would not need Stabil. Matt

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Not only that, but you'd be much better off not starting it every week, unless you drive it 10-20 miles when you do. Just starting it and running it while sitting is not good for the engine or the engine oil. Better off to let it sit.

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you store your car for a long time, I would suggest parking on a piece of carpet, plastic or anything that can act as a moisture barrier between a concrete floor and the underside of your Goat. This will keep the under carriage from rusting. My Dad had a 77 Vette that was nearly rusted out completely from sitting on concrete for about 2 years. You might want to place the car on stands about an inch off the ground to protect the belts in your tires from flattening out.

·
Registered
829 Posts
That is one great looking 66! I think driving them is best. I drive mine all the time if I am not doing something to it! Cars were built to run keeps the fluids moving the pumps pumping, the oil flowing. it also lets you know if something is wrong leaking, banging or falling off.

Now I know in MD snow and salty roads may keep you in some, agreed but if things are dry a spin to temperature and a cup of coffee can keep you in great shape.

besides they are more fun to drive!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts