Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else watching this?

I used to do a lot of street racing but nothing as fast as some of the top guys on this list. I think I would have it all over the "farm truck" and maybe a couple of the lower tier guys but the top 5 spots seem like real heavy hitters in the low nines to eight second range.

I enjoy watching and know a lot of it is staged but got me to thinking, what is street racing like in your neck of the woods?

I just don't do it anymore due to a major catastrophe that occurred last time I did organized street racing. As I don't have a quick DD anymore I won't punch off with anybody unless it would be at the track.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
yeah i am hooked, record it every Monday. Love the Monte and Novas make fast drag cars. Big Cheif has a 72 LeMans that he held number one with that he is supposed to start racing again next season. Theres a youtube of the farmtruck getting the wheels off the ground.

LMAO

·
Registered
5 Posts
:willy::shutmeI've heard of it. I'm just not sure what channel it is on! (Well, I'm just too lazy to search it up.) I live roughly an hour and thirty minutes south of OKC.

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
My very first vehicle was just like that farm truck. Same color and had a topper too. Couldn't pull wheelies tho..... So, Flip did himself in?

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
I've seen every one. Guilty pleasure. I don't approve of what they're doing, and it seems that they are more concerned with not getting in trouble for hurting/killing someone than actually hurting/killing someone. With the exception of Farm Truck, all the cars are true race cars, and not street cars. I am impressed with the level of expertise these guys have with the laptop programming and the tuning of these cars, though. The all-black clothing and the good-ol-boy/tough guy posturing gets old, though. My favorite character is Flip, who committed suicide last may for unknown reasons. He was 31 years old.

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya, love the outrageousness of the "farm truck" as a sleeper and Flip was one of my favorites too. I gotta root for the "little guy" like him building a fast street car on a budget and running against guys with more money and horse power.

As far as farm truck goes, love the dog (had a couple of "healers" myself over the years, they are great dogs) running shotgun but not sure where Asian fits into the equation. All he does is talk smack and he cant even change plugs in that truck.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I like watching the show, but it gets too many of the young guys out there thinking this is cool and someone ends getting killed or injured. Most of the street racing incidents I have read about in my area have involved the import crowd.
Seems to me the OKC boys have enough brains to rent a track and charge admission for their races and would probably make some decent money in the process.

·
Super Moderator
5,870 Posts
I like the show too, although since it has become a "reality" show I do have to question how much "reality" there is to it. Seems to me like moving all the extra crap it takes to film/video the action to a location and set it all up (and tear it all down) would be somewhat determinental to the guerilla tactics needed to stage a race quickly and escape before encountering the authorities.

I find it much easier to believe that the production company, the racers, and law enforcement have managed to arrive at some sort of tacit agreement that allows things to continue in a more or less safe fashion.

Bear

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
I agree there would be HUGE liability issues, as well as criminal if the producers were deemed complicit with the races and death or injury was caused. I am sure they have to carry insurance of multiple types in production and no underwriter would sign up to insure an illegal activity. Actually "the First 48" and a police officer are in court right now in Detroit over the shooting of a child in a raid that was filmed for the show.

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like the show too, although since it has become a "reality" show I do have to question how much "reality" there is to it. Seems to me like moving all the extra crap it takes to film/video the action to a location and set it all up (and tear it all down) would be somewhat determinental to the guerilla tactics needed to stage a race quickly and escape before encountering the authorities.

I find it much easier to believe that the production company, the racers, and law enforcement have managed to arrive at some sort of tacit agreement that allows things to continue in a more or less safe fashion.

Bear
Agree 100% Bear. It would be nice to me if they would promote taking their "Street" cars to the track to do their grudges and send the message to others that racing should be done on the track. Street racing these days is a recipe for disaster with cars that fast and some of the streets I see them racing on. It makes for good TV drama that the cars are loose the entire run but that shiz is just scary.

It's not like the "good ole days" when I was younger and if you had a 13 second car you were fast and a 12 second car could rule the streets.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Too many of these "reality" shows that deal with illegal stuff. I know its for entertainment but there are too many stupid people out there that want to go out and try things they see on TV. I watched a few minutes of an episode of this show. But just knowing that reality TV isn't real, I got tired of it real fast. I'm sick of shows about Amish criminals, moonshiners, and now street racing. But all I can do is not watch them.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Chief is supposed to unveil his new 70' Judge tonight. If you look in the background at most of the races there are light trailers and support vehicles for filming, most racing is probably done on private property cant see the lawyers letting them condone law breaking. That Sanoma is FAST even running on 7 cyl he stretched the Nova.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Chief is supposed to unveil his new 70' Judge tonight. If you look in the background at most of the races there are light trailers and support vehicles for filming, most racing is probably done on private property cant see the lawyers letting them condone law breaking. That Sanoma is FAST even running on 7 cyl he stretched the Nova.
That will be awesome! Ha. Those callout races have to be staged. There are never any passing cars...:willy: At least the test runs seem to be close to real. But I thought he was running on 8 until the piston melted due to the explosion. :confused

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Chiefs car looks incredible. Can't imagine the kind of power that must put down and I'm assuming it was tuned for low boost the way he got beat. Serious traction problems too it looked like but that car could be in the low 7's high 6 second range with "only" a 482 inch twin turbo "small block": ( lol) Pontiac. Could'nt believe he said that but in reality in his world that is a small block.

Doc had a 706 Gene Fulton mountain motor in the last episode and lost. But once that car is sorted out and Chief gets his in "street" race tune and can hook all that power I think the list change. If either of them can beat the S-10 of Daddy Dave they will really be running a number. I was very surprised to see how he took out Jeff Lutz' 57, he's for real.

With that said the lawnmower racing "lol" moment was tolerable but the whole llama/alpaca thing was just stupid. Please, if anyone from the production studio reads this just stop.

·
Super Moderator
5,870 Posts
Yeah, I picked up on the "small block" reference too. I sure liked when he briefly talked about how "no one thinks that a Pontiac can make power". Chief just became my new hero :D

I keep looking for evidence that they hold their "race nights" at a track, perhaps on the return road or something. The last few episodes I've been noticing, usually when they're talking to Chief, that there's a long string of flashing red lights off in the distance. They look too close to be TV/radio towers, too high to be tail-lights. Then there's that low white pipe fence I've seen along the side of the road. That sure looks like it could be some sort of boundary at a track. It wouldn't bother me to learn that they're not on a public road for these events, not at all.

One thing that I DO detest is that freaking overdubbed "indy car" engine sound.

Although, I just watched the episode where the Farmtruck team took their VW up into Kansas and set up 3 match races against the locals there. That sure -looked- like it was on a city street, 35 mph, with on-coming traffic no less. If that was real, it was seriously stupid.

Setting these cars up to run on an un-prepped surface imo takes as much finesse as it does for the Nitro guys to run at a national event.

Bear

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
He said he named his LeMans the crow because thats what they were gonna eat when a Pontiac beat them...LOL. Stated that the Butler Twin turbo 482 is supposed to make around 3000 HP once its dialed in...:eek:. Yeah those races with the bug and the test hits seem to be on public roads and in mid day with the bug races, not good any way you cut it.

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, The Crow is sitting at #1 now. Especially impressive in that he's running a "Pontiac" and it is a comparitively small cubic inch.

·
Super Moderator
5,870 Posts
But, didn't you know that Pontiacs can't make any real power? :D

(Have you seen all the flap over the past few days about NHRA "threatening" these guys?)

Bear

1 - 20 of 22 Posts