Pontiac GTO Forum banner

Strut Leak

12K views 64 replies 18 participants last post by  smh 
#1 ·
What is the reason for the strut leak ? Was there a history of this with the Holden model ? Is the same strut used for the GTO or have they used a different one ? Is the LS2 significantly heavier than the engine that was in the Holden model ?

#2 ·
Strut Leak (Again)

For those that have had this problem. Has the dealer just replaced the faulty part with the same faulty part or are they fixing it so it won't occur again ? Are they just going to cover the problem for the term of the warranty (3 years right? ) and then you are on your own ?

#3 ·
GhostRider said:
For those that have had this problem. Has the dealer just replaced the faulty part with the same faulty part or are they fixing it so it won't occur again ? Are they just going to cover the problem for the term of the warranty (3 years right? ) and then you are on your own ?
Your dealer should be replacing the defective strut with a new one. That new one should be covered under the current warranty on your car.

#6 ·
I have a new 06 with 650 miles. Yeterday I noticed an oil spot under the drivers side strut. Is this just a problem with the 06's. If so what was changed with the 06 model. Did the Holden models have the same problem ? Is Pontiac going to come up with a permanent solution or are they just going to fix them until everyones warranty expires and then hope they'll just go away ? Does anyone have any answers ?

#7 ·
GhostRider said:
But is the new one improved or is it the same one that seems to have a defect. If it's the same one then they'll just keep replacing them until the warranty funs out.
It will be replaced with the same part number strut. New and improved? Unless there was a recall for a massive amount of defective stuts like the rears were, there won't be "improved" ones. Not all parts are defective. Could be the seals were not installed correctly, or they had a slice in it somewhere, or other factors that contributed to the leak. Kind of like getting a bad starter, just because one is bad does not mean they are all bad.
If a new one is installed and it leaks, they'll replace that one as well. And if that one leaks, then they'll keep replacing until they find one that doesn't leak.

#9 ·
Jan.’06 for me, and my left front strut is being replaced due to leak.
I did see a lengthy thread on an LS2 forum about a number of Jan/Feb cars that seem to be affected. People are also urged to file complaint reports:

Go to www.nhtsa.gov

click on "Vehicles & Equipment"

click on "Recalls/Defects"

click on "File a Complaint" and complete the form.

#11 ·
The dealer first told me the struts were on order and unavailable and told me I could pick it up and drive it until the strut (one) came in. Wouldn't replace both said the other one had to fail. I called Pontiac they said that they had no record of complaints. I filed the complaint after that discourse. It is a Feb 06 build date. (650 miles)

#15 ·
I called Pontiac customer service last night. They told me that the GTO was a very unique car. I was then advised that one of the major parts manufacturers had gone bankrupt. I asked if he was implying that we should be prepared for similar agony and misery ?

#17 ·
I've noticed that there is a very small amount of slick fluid (I'm used to dino oil, so I can only assume this is synth) that drips off the front right strut of my car (2006, 200 miles). I assume this is the strut leak.

From reading here, it sounds like a quick trip to the dealer will get it replaced, and should fix the issue. Is that correct?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.