Pontiac GTO Forum banner

Stuck manifold bolt.

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Anderslober 
#1 ·
I am readying my engine for paint. One bolt unfortunately broke and whats left of the bolt wont budge. We have soaked it in PB blaster, heated it, welded nuts to it....just wont budge.
I am installing Ram Air manifolds.....it is the forward left exhaust port...right bolt. If we just cut it of...will it be enough to hold the Ram Air manifolds tight without leaks? Can we drill it out with head still on?
we would like to avoid taking of the head if possible.
Any ideas highly appreciated. Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Since you tried heating it and PB blaster and failed, then I would try drilling it From the bottom. Leave the head on because as you weaken the internal body of the bolt, you may tobe able to use the head to turn and work it out.

so I woulduse a drill bit marked for depth no to go thru the head to start with...but weaken the internal body, resoak, reheat and use the head to turn and wrestle it out....

if you have to drill thru the head later you always can..

I would want to still have all the bolts to seal the manifold.

good luck, you will get it!

#5 ·
Check your Ram Air manifolds to see if that bolt aligns with that bolt hole in the manifold. The Ram Air manifolds do not use all the mounting bolts that the stock manifolds use. If it is a needed bolt, then yes you need it. If you've exhausted all other options, carefully drill it out and re-tap the hole 3/8-16 thread. Take your time when drilling to keep proper alignment with the hole and start with a smaller bit, then work you way up. Good luck!

#6 ·
Looks pretty straightforward. Heat the area around the bolt, with acetyline torch. Grab with vice grips and turn.

The torch rarely lets me down.

PB blaster is OK but rarely does what one would wish, especially here in the rust belt.

You have plenty of bolt sticking out.Its a slam dunk.

#7 ·
I could not get my diff plug out to save my life. Even broke a pipe wrench on it. My son came over... welded a nut to the easy out, heated the plug till red, shot plenty of pb blaster while red, let it sit for a couple minutes then cooled it down with water and came out like nothing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.