Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
California requires front plates. Didn't put one on for years -- but got a flock of fix-it tickets and said to heck with it -- I'm putting one on.

Driving home from a meeting last night in really heavy traffic, the cars in the number two lane on a really busy freeway stop for absolutely no reason. I end up tapping the back bumper of the guy in front of me.

My car's fine. A couple of slight scuffs that polish took right off with no effort. The guy in front of me? These huge black smudges from the plastic license plate holder. I know a cleaner will take it right off -- as the paint wasn't scuffed or cracked -- but this guy doesn't know squat about cars -- so we exchange insurance information.

Will definitely tell my insurance company to have their adjuster to get after this -- because the body shops around here will no doubt use this as an opportunity to put a new bumper assembly on his car.

And nothing would've happened if that stupid front plate wasn't on. Grrr.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Bummer. See what a conscience gets you?

I've not had any problems with no front plate, and I've been the lucky recipient of three speeding tix in my Holden.

I did get a ticket for no plate when parked in downtown LA, but it just a revenue ticket ($25)- not a fix-it ticket. I was in the fifth floor of a building attending a meeting at the time, and watched the meter maid write the ticket. It was funny as hell watching her try and figure out what kind of car it is.

Ticket said CAR MAKE: Other :rofl:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Glad we dont have to put them on here.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I will never put one on. I have been pulled over twice and only recieved warnings. It was a big deal with rising gas prices. Drive offs and such. Seems like the cops settled down lately.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
When I lived in California I never put my front plate on my Z28. I was on my way to Florida and going through Texas. You guessed it, a Trooper pulls me over for not having a front license. He told me he was entering it into his computer and that I would have 24 hours to fix the plate or the next Trooper would issue me a citation. He did give me a written warning for the plate and for speed over a posted limit. I was doing 79 in a 75 zone.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ohio requires front plates too but I work in the Cincinnati area so I can blend in with all the Kentucky drivers that aren't required to have front plates :rofl: I've been driving my Grand Prix for over 2 1/2 years without a front plate and never had a problem. My new Goat will never get a front plate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts