Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys- as some know, I just recently bought an 05 GTO. I have a stupid question- how long does the damn radio stay on for after turning off the car??? If I pull the key out, it goes off instantly. If I leave the key in, I can come back 30 minutes later and it is still on, but is off by morning. Is there a way to change the timer for it or is there a problem somewhere? Thanks.
Joe

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I see that it goes out when I take the key out- how about if you leave it in? That's what's confusing me- I park it in my garage a lot and leave the key in it, so I noticed it is always on whenever I walk out there- unless it is overnight. Just curious how long it stays on for. Thanks for the reply though- and I am enjoying it so far :). Just need to do something about the lack of traction!!!
Joe

·
Registered
105 Posts
A vehicle with the security features that the GTO has is NOT designed to leave the key in it. This is for your (and the car's) protection. If you want to leave the key in it for convenience, just pull the key out, then put it back in.

:cool

·
Registered
21 Posts
Have an '04. I can go out to the garage and cut the radio on at anytime. I don't even need the key. In fact it's not even been in the car for a few days. Oh well, I'm sure there is some special programming and it's a factory default, but just haven't had the time to check. No big deal, just thought you may be interested in hearing.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PHOTOGOAT said:
A vehicle with the security features that the GTO has is NOT designed to leave the key in it. This is for your (and the car's) protection. If you want to leave the key in it for convenience, just pull the key out, then put it back in.

:cool
That's easy enough to do, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't a problem with a timer relay or something somewhere. As for security features, the GTO is good, but it isn't much more advanced than any other car I have owned in the last 5 years and they all turn the radio off either after a set time or when a door is opened. Just seems odd that it would stay on until the key is pulled. Just a poor design if it stays on after you turn the car off, open the doors, etc. Heck, I also have an 04 Crossfire, 05 Ram 1500, 91 Talon TSI and 98 Z28- where I live, we leave the keys in them all the time- inside or out (the GTO stays INSIDE), all of them turn off- so it just seems abnormal to me that this one car doesn't. No biggie, I'll just have to get used to it.

As for other threads, I searched and didn't find anything. Anyone have links to them?
Joe

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, thanks. I am pretty bad about reading the owners manuals when I buy cars as most stuff is common knowledge which if you don't know by now, you shouldn't be behind the wheel of a car :). I guess I could have looked this up hahah..

I guess that's why it is always on, but turns off by morning. I thought it was just on some timer. That is an odd "feature" (radio staying on, not turning things off to prevent drain). Thanks again.
Joe

·
Registered
188 Posts
kwiktsi said:
Ok, thanks. I am pretty bad about reading the owners manuals when I buy cars as most stuff is common knowledge which if you don't know by now, you shouldn't be behind the wheel of a car :). I guess I could have looked this up hahah..

I guess that's why it is always on, but turns off by morning. I thought it was just on some timer. That is an odd "feature" (radio staying on, not turning things off to prevent drain). Thanks again.
Joe
The radio can be turned on which will also energize the accessory power outlet when the key is out. I do this all the time to use my 12-volt vacuum cleaner in the Goat. I think it will turn itself off after one hour, however.

....Not sure how it works if you leave the key in and in the locked position, though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.