Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming home from work today, I ran across a punk in a blue sabaru impreza wrx sti. The thing had a rear fin on it that was twice as tall as the car, lol. The guy sneared at me and buzzed by me (it was a beautiful day out today, in the 80's, and I had my windows down with no shades on and made sure I gave him full eye contact as he went by) but we were in the middle of town with heavy morning traffic and I wasn't about to go fast and furious tokyo drift. I've read several posts on here about how vicious these things are and that we should look the other way when one comes. What gives? I'm at the soob website now and they got 293 hp and 290 lbs. of torque? Their starting price is 33,495, almost identical to a goat's. From what I'm seeing here, they don't impress me much. Please shed some light on this ricer kit car looking thing they call an STI. Thanks.
Dustin.

·
Registered
12 Posts
while the appearance of the car my be an aquired taste, you really cant argue with the performance stats. 0-60 anywhere from between 4.5 seconds to 5 seconds depending on what article you read. 300hp might not sound like a lot, but when you put it in a light car that has awd (which automatically equals perfect traction, no spinning on launch) and very very tight handling, you have a car that can easily embarass cars that are 3 times the cost. if the sti is too ricey looking, look up the sti limited, it looks a lot more subtle but with the same performance

·
Registered
115 Posts
But.........will they beat us? :confused
Depends on the driver. I've whipped them at the track and they've whipped me. I had one run low 12s against me but more commonly I see them in the high 13s. In stock form they'll stay pretty even with a Goat in the 1/4. They usually get the holeshot because of AWD.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Depends on the driver. I've whipped them at the track and they've whipped me. I had one run low 12s against me but more commonly I see them in the high 13s. In stock form they'll stay pretty even with a Goat in the 1/4. They usually get the holeshot because of AWD.
:agree

·
Registered
91 Posts
Stock for Stock..i think it depends on the driver of the GOAT! I've raced about 4 of em..off the line, they get about 1 - 1 1/2 cars on me, but as soon as I hit 2nd..Im passing them by..I usually beat the STI anywhere from 2-4 cars..depending on how good the STI driver is..yet to lose to one...Now an EVO MR...WATCH OUT! Consistant high 12's at the track...STOCK! doesn't look like much, but dam! But back to the STI...I've beat em at the track, and on the streets...BTW, I'm stock!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Funny thing. I work for a subaru dealer..lol. The owners asked why I bought the goat rather than the STI? I told him if I wanted a rough ride I would drive my 84 chevy p/u. I want a car that rides nice and will go for over 60,000 miles. Don't get me wrong these cars do go! But they lack in the high end. Go head ge the jump I'll catch up. If you don't pass them around 50-60mph your doing something wrong!

Think of it this way, it's a four banger. That gets a ton of abuse. These's no way it'll last as long as a v-8. I know from experience the trannys don't hold up. And every mod you do is just taking miles off the life of that lil' motor.:seeya:

D

·
0 Posts
Sti

No problem beating an STI on the street,, you can eat them for lunch every day, they will have the jump on you for the 1st 50 to 60 ft because they have ALL WHEEL Drive,, if you have the 6 speed,,just leave it in 1st for about 10 feet then short shift it in to 2nd and you will have them from there on.

If you have the 4 speed automatic,, just leave it in drive , get on the gas about 1/4 throttle, go about 50 ft and stick the peddle to the floor,, they do have 300 HP but because the power goes to ALL 4 wheels, their actual BHP, at the wheels HP is only about 240.. I seen one on a 4 wheel dyno and this one made 238 at the wheels

·
Registered
289 Posts
STi's are def quick cars, but nothing LS2 GTO's should worry about. From a roll, I've never lost to one by more than a car. I've also beaten a few. This is in my 350Z BTW.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Roll- No Problem, they have no top end stock but when tuned be careful.
From a Dig- They'll jump you, but you'll pull no problem just don't miss any shifts
Of course this is only if the Scoobie is for the most part close to stock with bolt ons.
My Brother has an 04 STi and it's like a Go-kart

I've seen 9 second street legal STi's drive to and from the track in Arizona

D

·
0 Posts
sti

I love f--king with all of the tuner cars on the hiway,, that is what we call the JAP JUNK in the North East, [ TUNER CARS ].. they are called that because they put a 100 pound wing on the back, change the muffler and they think they have a race car. most of them look like they are about to fall apart. some of these guys say these cars are fast. I say you can make that piece of junk fast but all you end up with is a FAST PIECE OF JUNK

·
Registered
82 Posts
almost bought one , but test drove gto first , the rest is history, the limited sti is cool lookin and only like 750 made ,it has leather ,heated seats ,etc. and looks like a standard wrx, hey i may be wrong but i thought subaru was an austrailian company

·
Registered
145 Posts
hey i may be wrong but i thought subaru was an austrailian company
They're a division of Fuji Heavy Industries, who incidentally was a leading manufacturer of aircraft for Japan in WWII... ;)

That being said, I would still seriously look into a Legacy STI if they are ever brought stateside for my inevitable "family" car. I think it's down to either that or the G8 at this point.

D

·
0 Posts
sti

The only reason for me to buy a STI would be if I needed a new anchor for my boat

·
Registered
305 Posts
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO. They're on the tenth edtion now.

Roughly same stats as the WRX STI, but I think they come just a little faster stock.

What nobody has mentioned is that when you have a boosted car like these, it's easy to change a pulley or two and run more psi. I ran into a guy at a car meet in OH that wanted to race and he told me he was "only" running 36 lbs. As squrtdog50 stated, it's easy to run more boost, but also easy to annihilate the stock engine components in the process.

That being said, I've NEVER been beaten by any of the handful that I've run. I run mostly stock except for the GMM Ripshifter and CAI. I really thinks it's a drivers race more than anything.

·
Registered
78 Posts
yeah the only reason sti's have those times is because of their launch...from a roll stock for stock a ls2 goat will put carlengths on a sti...and put a good driver in the goat and its bye bye for sti

1 - 20 of 21 Posts