Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a dealer i was looking at buying a gto from today said they could do an in house power sunroof as an $800 option.

a different dealer i spoke with said no way you should put a sunroof in this car because the whole structure would twist and before long the car's doors would no longer line up properly, and blah blah you're car would fall apart.

Has anyone tried this yet or heard anything about the ill effects of installing a sunroof?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Don't mess with it. It's a performance car...there's only one model designed. If it were a camry or something and it's a factory option and you put one in after the fact in a car that obviously has it in it's design that's one thing...but the GTO was designed/engineered from the ground up w/o a hole in its damn roof.

·
Registered
689 Posts
As long as the side pillars are still in tact, it shouldn't effect the intergity of the car. However, the headliner will be a lot lower with a sun roof installed. Also, with the front window slanting as far as it does, the sunroof will more behind your head instead of over it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i own a garage and see a large number of all shape and size vehicles, alot of them with modifications done,,,,,MOST(not all) aftermarket modifications I see done(both by shops and private individuals) wether its mechanical or body modifications are of marginal quality at best, and I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't want a hole cut in my 30 grand car by someone who isn't as profichant as maybe they should be, and at that point you have a leaking POS.:eek:

Just a personal opinion.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Got a pop-up sunroof that I just take the glass out before going cruising cost 400 installed the largest one that would fit. Got quoted 1200 for a power roof problem being the way the roof is shaped it only opens half the amount of the hole cut in the roof UNACCEPTABLE IMO!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I had a Webasto sunroof installed within the 1st 2 weeks I owned my car. I think it's the best unit out there.
Has great features:
Illuminated, Soft-Touch user control panel (green like the dashboard)
Two programmable positions
Self-deploying wind deflector
Automatic, ignition off auto-close
Sliding sunshade, color-matched to interior
Integrated safety system prevents closing on objects
Generously sized, large opening
Rain sensor ready (a waste unless you can't tell when it's raining)
But it's water tight, whistle free and looks really OEM. Had mine installed for $895 with a lifetime parts warranty.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
k1200lt -- thank you very much for the photos. Your sunroof is HUGE! The quality of the installation looks terrific, too.

Looks like the installer put in a new headliner? If so, do you have the old one? Doing a small interior project -- and would like to get a hunk of the factory material to finish it off.

Again, nice job on the sunroof. You have HomeLink installed as well?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.