Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i have been tryin to find out the differences in different superchargers, so far I must say a maggie unit looks super clean under the hood, the prochargers I assume will make a bit more power but are harder to install? plus with those unit's the engine bay looks very cluterd (packed full)!I love having a nice clean organized engine bay (mad props to Gm) looking under there it screams BIG BALLS!!!!HOT ROD!!!HP HP.. My buddies GT looks well like sh##. Ok Ok I'm of the subject, what do you guys think is the best buy in a charger? I'm not looking for some crazy gain but 450rwhp schould be Fun! I got an 06 m6 volant CAI,SLP lt,3 inch exhaust, getting a tune soon!:cool
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
MSTNGKILLA said:
Ok so i have been tryin to find out the differences in different superchargers, so far I must say a maggie unit looks super clean under the hood, the prochargers I assume will make a bit more power but are harder to install? plus with those unit's the engine bay looks very cluterd (packed full)!I love having a nice clean organized engine bay (mad props to Gm) looking under there it screams BIG BALLS!!!!HOT ROD!!!HP HP.. My buddies GT looks well like sh##. Ok Ok I'm of the subject, what do you guys think is the best buy in a charger? I'm not looking for some crazy gain but 450rwhp schould be Fun! I got an 06 m6 volant CAI,SLP lt,3 inch exhaust, getting a tune soon!:cool
the pro charger is easyer to install, but like u said it dose cluter up the engine bay. the pro charger can be moded more, but the maggie has more low end power. my self will to be puting a maggie on my car over the winter. good luck and keep us informed. and if you are thinking of puting on the maggie, you mite want to look into a cam while u have her open.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think i might get the cam first, save up abit and through on a maggie. any idea what would be a good cam choice! I think something not to radical in case I don't do a maggie. It just depends on the $$$$$$. or at least how long to save the cash. how much is a good price for a install on a maggie?5800 maggie maybe 700 install ( wild guess)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
119 Posts
im making 450 with my maggie and havent thrown in a cam yet.Also i have an ls1 so you have 50 hp on me off the get go.if you need to find out some info on packages just pm me or AZPS WEST we have great packages at great prices.:cheers
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,640 Posts
Well, it look like I'm finally going to drop the cash for a maggie myself come tomorrow. My goal of 500rwhp/500rwtq, in my signature, is about to take it's big first leap. It's been a long drawn out process but I think it's time. The only dilemma I have is am I going to install it myself or have someone else install it. The biggest dilemma is, if I have someone else install it, should I go ahead and have them install a head and cam package as well (depending on the price)? Hmmmm, decisions... decisions! Regardless, the maggie should be at my door no later than next Monday (August 28). Then I'll decide what to do. I will keep everyone posted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hear from other threads that a stock ls2 short block is good for about 560rwhp - 600 rwhp b 4 having issue's with the rod's and piston's. I think heads,cam,maggie unit will be pushing close to the edge!!! Plus the heads are fairly nice already (good flow #). I've heard people having some minor port and polish work done on the fac heads and seeing great gains. What's a set of heads going for these day's? A cam and maggie set up sounds good to me and hopefully keep some reliability!MAN 500rwhp how much more can one ask for, I think that's the most streetable Hp anyone schould have ( unless you race off course).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,640 Posts
MSTNGKILLA said:
I hear from other threads that a stock ls2 short block is good for about 560rwhp - 600 rwhp b 4 having issue's with the rod's and piston's. I think heads,cam,maggie unit will be pushing close to the edge!!! Plus the heads are fairly nice already (good flow #). I've heard people having some minor port and polish work done on the fac heads and seeing great gains. What's a set of heads going for these day's? A cam and maggie set up sounds good to me and hopefully keep some reliability!MAN 500rwhp how much more can one ask for, I think that's the most streetable Hp anyone schould have ( unless you race off course).
500/500 is my goal that I'll be satisfied with for sure and I think the Maggie will put me close to it with a great tune. And I'm sure A and A Corvettes will put me there with reliability too. I really haven't heard too much about the LS2 having problems with power up to 600 rwhp. But too much of anything can be bad. Another reason I'm skeptical about doing the heads and cam is because I don't want to void the warranty. Magnuson states that the factory warranty won't be voided with their supercharger. They even offer a 3 year/36,000 powertrain warranty for $200 if the supercharger is installed by a ASE certified mechanic. But we all know that if something happens to the engine, GM will do what ever they can to not honor the warranty. Oh well, that's a chance we all take when we mod our cars.

MSTNGKILLA said:
hey love those rims 11oz I got the same , they are TSW wright! I got em with NITTO 555R rubber 245/40/18 My'ns black on black perfect match
Yeah they're the TSW Thruxton's. 19" x 8" up front and 19" x 9.5" out back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
If you have the LS2 be advised that there is a belt throwing "issue" with the Maggie. I've been stranded twice now due to the serpentine belt coming off, once while pulling into a parking space:confused

This just happened after six months of trouble free use.....and I don't drive my car hard at all.....no track use whatsoever.

I was going with the ProCharger unit but was talked into the Maggie by one of their ex-employees who now sells them on the side. The LS1 guys don't seem to have the same belt issues as us. Regardless, throwing a belt shuts you down completely..........can you afford that?

JET
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,640 Posts
J.E.T. said:
If you have the LS2 be advised that there is a belt throwing "issue" with the Maggie. I've been stranded twice now due to the serpentine belt coming off, once while pulling into a parking space:confused

This just happened after six months of trouble free use.....and I don't drive my car hard at all.....no track use whatsoever.

I was going with the ProCharger unit but was talked into the Maggie by one of their ex-employees who now sells them on the side. The LS1 guys don't seem to have the same belt issues as us. Regardless, throwing a belt shuts you down completely..........can you afford that?

JET
For the belt to be thrown off there has to be an alignment issue with the pulley on the blower or the pulley on the new tensioner since they're the new items added to the original belt layout. Or are you having a problem with the tensioner not keeping enough tension on the belt which is causing the belt to slip off? Maybe the belt has stretched since the install. Just trying to get an idea of what's up with this since I just ordered a Maggie. But this is the first time I've heard about the belt throwing incident.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
6QTS11OZ said:
For the belt to be thrown off there has to be an alignment issue with the pulley on the blower or the pulley on the new tensioner since they're the new items added to the original belt layout. Or are you having a problem with the tensioner not keeping enough tension on the belt which is causing the belt to slip off? Maybe the belt has stretched since the install. Just trying to get an idea of what's up with this since I just ordered a Maggie. But this is the first time I've heard about the belt throwing incident.
I dunno the cause but it is a serious issue on the LS2's. One guy even had his whole Maggie replaced by the factory because of this belt issue. Visit the other GTO board's forced induction section. We just had a pretty heated discussion over this issue........suppliers don't want this news to get out, tends to hurt sales.

JET
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
569 Posts
Just like the suppliers didn't want it to get out when I told them that I heard there was an issue with the carbon fiber shaft that caused about a month and a half worth of them blaming the vendor I ordered it from for the delay in my order. Not admitting to a problem is bad enough- throwing someone else under the bus as a copout for issues on your end is complete bull****! That's when I cancelled my order and went procharger- glad I did too as I know I will keep going with mods and the Procharger will adapt as needed. The maggie is a great setup for those who want a nice daily driver type of setup, however their customer service sucks. When I mentioned the issue, it was "this was an in house issue which is why you were never told about it, it was only a couple of units that had defective shafts and they were found before they left, this was not to be public knowlege". Hmm, that's why it was delayed a month and a half- for a couple of defective shafts? Pretty ironic how now, they are having all these alignment issues also... Related?- I can't say for sure either way. A bit too coincidental- sure as **** :).

Also, I was told they were going to send mine out with either a steel shaft that would cause harmonic vibrations of a carbon shaft and not give me a warranty if I wanted them to send it ASAP. Yeah, ok.... That to me sounds like the problem was bigger than just a couple of units....

Look at the Magna Volt problems now too.. I'm curious how they'll handle that one. It is a shame, it is a niceunit- just needs some final details ironed out.
Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
569 Posts
C5ORGTO said:
My friend just got a P1SC installed on his LS1 corvette. About 450hp to the wheels. I don't think it makes the engine bay look cluttered. Here is a GTO pic of the Procharger.
Yeha, I don't think it looks cluttered either. Here's the P1 in my 05 GTO- put down 547 with a smaller pulley and alky with the rest of the car bone stock (manifolds, cats, catback, fuel pump, blah blah). I just got my Kooks on and am going to do a pump next week and get it retuned- *should* be upper 5's once done :).
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
569 Posts
How the hell do you get the pics to show up in the message like you did lol?
Joe
PS- Oh and I think the Maggie looks just as or more cluttered between the hoses, tank, jackshaft and belt assembly, etc. Also removing the insulation and possibly trimming the hood doesn't appeal to me either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
Sent a certified letter to their president about my issues with their so-called "customer service" and the belt throwing issues. The guy who sold mine to me (through a local speed shop that did the install) made all these grandiose claims about how he tried to "help" with the factory, etc. He even went so far as to lie about them offering to send me a brand new Maggie........what a joke. I tell 'ya, some of these criminal vendors need to be lined up and shot IMO........

JET
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
585 Posts
J.E.T. said:
Sent a certified letter to their president about my issues with their so-called "customer service" and the belt throwing issues. The guy who sold mine to me (through a local speed shop that did the install) made all these grandiose claims about how he tried to "help" with the factory, etc. He even went so far as to lie about them offering to send me a brand new Maggie........what a joke. I tell 'ya, some of these criminal vendors need to be lined up and shot IMO........

JET
Some people can not cope with screwing up, so they lie to protect themselves. It is more common because our culture is run by personal need not morality. What is right isn't the point, it is what you can get away with. As one lawyer friend stated: It is not illegal until you get caught!
 
1 - 20 of 110 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top