Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I had a 1971 GTO when I was in highschool (1982) and sold her for a VW bug when i went to college (still crying after all these years). However, I am now at a point financially to look for my high school ride back into my life.

I've found a 1971 GTO/400/4sp which seller claims to be a survivor car from front bumper tail pipe and it's in fantastic shape with PHS documentation and boasts that it is worth more than resto-mods since it's 100 percent factory. Well, rear quarter panel has 2 dime size rust and the had body and paint work that 's little off. What do you guys think? Is it worth more than resto mods? He is asking 32K and hagerty has it fair priced at 20700 and +15 percent for 4speed and -10 percent for no AC.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Hi Guys,

I had a 1971 GTO when I was in highschool (1982) and sold her for a VW bug when i went to college (still crying after all these years). However, I am now at a point financially to look for my high school ride back into my life.

I've found a 1971 GTO/400/4sp which seller claims to be a survivor car from front bumper tail pipe and it's in fantastic shape with PHS documentation and boasts that it is worth more than resto-mods since it's 100 percent factory. Well, rear quarter panel has 2 dime size rust and the had body and paint work that 's little off. What do you guys think? Is it worth more than resto mods? He is asking 32K and hagerty has it fair priced at 20700 and +15 percent for 4speed and -10 percent for no AC.

Thanks.

Too much in my book. The '71 isn't the most desireable and parts may be harder to get. If it has known issues, then it probably has issues unknown. The minute you begin to put money into it, it won't take long to be upside down.

Mileage is also important. 100% factory means nothing when it comes to mechanical condition. Engine rebuilt? New clutch? New front end? New brakes? New shocks? etc..
A Pontiac is not a Chevy or Ford so parts will be more costly.

And, never go by the sellers appraisal of what they say the car is and what its worth. You want to see it in person and climb all over & under it, and road test it. Don't let sentiments take over and steer you into a bad deal. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Too much in my book. The '71 isn't the most desireable and parts may be harder to get. If it has known issues, then it probably has issues unknown. The minute you begin to put money into it, it won't take long to be upside down.

Mileage is also important. 100% factory means nothing when it comes to mechanical condition. Engine rebuilt? New clutch? New front end? New brakes? New shocks? etc..
A Pontiac is not a Chevy or Ford so parts will be more costly.

And, never go by the sellers appraisal of what they say the car is and what its worth. You want to see it in person and climb all over & under it, and road test it. Don't let sentiments take over and steer you into a bad deal. :thumbsup:
Thank you for the advice. I think I am going to pass on this one. The owner is pretty young guy and he sent me a picture of engine bay where he spray painted it black and it looks trifling under the hood. That lost my interest. Will keep looking.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Thank you for the advice. I think I am going to pass on this one. The owner is pretty young guy and he sent me a picture of engine bay where he spray painted it black and it looks trifling under the hood. That lost my interest. Will keep looking.

Run! Looks like someone painted the chrome valve covers blue as well. Original? Yeah, right. LOL

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have a '71 GTO, and desirable or not by many, I think it has great body lines, style, character and I like it alot. I also think his asking price is too much for what you get. Mine has been a body off frame resto and is very nice. Original drive train with factory AC. needs nothing. If I was to sell it, I'd probably be somewhat firm at about $28,000.00 which I think would be a fair price, Nicholas.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts