Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. New to this board and had a quick question. I picked up a slightly used 1972 Lemans Sport with a 350/TH350. So far, I have replaced front brakes, shocks all around, and installed a better radio. I drive this car a lot, and what little rubber suspension bushings that are left are making terrible noises. I am looking at a complete front end kit from PST and wondered if the Polygraphite were better than polyurethane? Any comments on either would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think you'd be happy with either of them. They are for the most part the same thing.

Or you can use the "if it costs more it's better" and buy the more costly one, which usually is true. But i don't have any real input from 1st hand experience.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Last spring I refitted my '67 with Prothane urethane bushings in the A-arms, front swaybar, rear control arms, and installed a full body bushing kit, plus I put KYB's all the way around. Man what a difference the new bushings made, especially the body bushings. They got rid of all the annoying squeaks and rattles and buzzes that come with an old car. But be aware that the urethane bushings are stiffer than stock rubber bushings, so it will firm up the ride some. Personally I love the tighter feel, it doesn't feel like the body is rolling and wallowing around on the frame.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I restore and build a lot of musclecars, and I've done a lot of suspension rebuilds. I use stock rubber bushings in everything I build, and they hold up great. They don't squeak, they don't come loose, and they feel great. Fact is, you cannot get enough traction on a street tire to compress a stock rubber bushing to the point that you can feel the difference in the alignment under extreme cornering. The poly bushings are a marketing gimmick made popular by racers who have enough driving exerience and traction to be able to tell the difference. For a street car, the stock rubber is great stuff, and it's very reliable. Simply replacing the 35-year-old bushings with new bushing of any type will get you an incredible improvement in handling and "feel." The stock stuff does the job remarkably well.

For a complete article on how to pull the suspension apart and rebuild it with new bushings, drop me an e-mail request to:
[email protected]
This paper is specific to the C2 Corvettes, but the cars are the same as a GTO on the front end procedure.
Contact me with any questions.
Lars

1 - 5 of 5 Posts