Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be sweet! I installed a switch-pitch kit into my th400 trans awhile ago, but my car isn't ready for the road yet. A guy that I work with has an old Olds 442 with a switch-pitch 400 in it, and he says I will love it! You can change the stall speed of the converter with a flick of a switch. I got the 1800/3000 kit from Posten, but I don't think they sell them anymore. Think about it, puling up next to some bro in a new Mustang or Camaro, flick the switch and blowing his plastic doors off!! Then flick the switch again and cruise without the converter slipping. I am gonna control mine with a MADMAX style switch on my dual-gate shifter or an extra dimmer switch on the floor. The instructions said it can handle 700 lbs/ft of torque, well I am south of that. Enjoy!

They also had a 1900/4000 kit, but I thought that would be overkill and ruin the rearend.

·
Registered
31 Posts
nice I like the idea I heard of the switch pitch convertors just never had any personal expierance with them . cant wait to hear how it works sounds like the best of both worlds

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
I think Switch Pitch was an option in early 60s Rivieras, not sure. The name would never make it in todays "politically correct" world!:willy:

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Eric, you nailed it. Early Riv's had 'em. Also on the "other" forum some of the guys are running them in their TH400's in the full size cars. They seem to work extremely well....a ton of stall for the holeshot, and not much for slip-free cruising. The best of both worlds. LOVE your car. It's done, IMO. Just needs some camo paint and a milk crate bolted to the floor and you're good to go!!!!! A foof rack for all of your Mad Max survival gear, a pet Dingo, and you're SET! Emperor of the Wasteland!!! (Or Scourge of Manhattan)

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Thanks Jeff, I have all the parts, just need to put them together. I will substitute a Chocolate Lab for the dingo however! Also it would be nice to have roads to cruise like in that movie! Maybe 2 50 gallon fuel tanks where the trunk lid belongs too! Eric

1 - 14 of 14 Posts