Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please Help an old man , Ha Everyone need your help thinking about putting a T56 in my 66 GTO that has a 455 in it putting out around 400 hp. I am new at this and have no clue what Iam doing . I need a list of what I need to make this work , can it be done and is it a good idea :confused: Some say The T5 but my research tells me they cant handle the hp. ?

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
Many threads on this but here's my personal opinion......T-56 is 100 pounds heavier than a TKO 5 speed and why does anyone need two overdrives? Along with being heavier it is also physically larger and bulkier and needs even more floor pan alterations than a 5 speed.

Now, I said TKO because that is what I have and have experience with installing. I have heard that there are other options for 5 speeds out there that can withstand the power of a Pontiac V8 and do not need floor pan surgery but I have no experience with those.

Another option that is way cheaper is just run a more "highway friendly" rear axle gear.

Personally I like to have my cake and eat it too and the 5 speed fits the bill nicely. I would guestimate a complete setup with bellhousing, clutch assy and trans to be in the $3000+ range.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts