Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my HEI distributor took a crap last week, car has been out of commission all summer and it would be 10 days before a new one would get here. So I bought an OEM from auto zone to get the car back on the road. Everything went smoothly. But afterwards my tach was acting funny, jumping around sticking or increasing at a rate that was impossible (35 mph 3rd gear read 8k at one point). Did this for the first day. The second day it just stopped working, when I start the car I can see the needle move but it never goes above zero. There was no problem before I switched distributors/coil. Checked the fuse its good checked wiring everything appears sound and in proper place. If you have any opinions on what I need to check please let me know

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand that rukee, there was a pontiac performance shop right down the street from me for years. I buy a pontiac and they close. I just couldnt wait so I went the fast and easy rout. I hope it didnt wipe out the tach its all new internals.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One more unrelated question for the day then i am done for a bit. I am a Process operator by trade, i run chemical processes, identify and trouble shoot problems, but fixing problems well thats not my problem. So this beast of a car, i am trying to do as much work myself as i can, learn a new trade, a hobby, save money what ever the reason its my car should be my work. with that said i do have help, with the previous pictures i loaded of the broken axle its become apparent that before i bought the car it had a nasty case of wheel hop, fender wells are beat up, axle was broken rims bent yadda yadda yadda. So i put in the new 12 bolt, new rear suspension really got on it today and it hopped in 2nd and in 3rd. Tried to get on her from a stop bad hop there also, between those three times it cost me a set of rear tires, side walls chewed up. Pinion angles are correct everything is mounted correct, can a bored .030 over 428 put out that much torque? Do i need traction bars? stiffer suspension? One day i would like to take the car to the track and see what it will run, but i need to keep the weeks on the ground. Oh replacement HEI came, installed and tach works again, think it may be a lil off right now but it works, weird just plain weird.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
I agree with Rukee...Autozone parts suck. I take more stuff back there than its worth whatever savings you get. Time is money and have to do things two or here times over because of poor quality parts sucks.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hei distributor back. Traction bars installed wheels stay planted. Still having issues with tach. As of now it only works after I wash the car. And seems to only work right in the 3k to 4k range. Once past 4500 it jumps straight to 8k. And blow 3k it just dances.wiring problem or bad internals? Internals were replaced about a year ago

·
Registered
711 Posts
Just to make sure... Your tach is compatible with an HEI, right? The tach from an original points distributor, is not. They can be modified, but out of the box, they're not compatible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts