Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66 gto 4 speed is the tach on the hood or suppose to be next to speedometer neither on mine please advise thanks dman

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your help I want a tach where would you suggest I install there is room next to speedo it looks like a sticker. Thanks again

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I must have standard dash should I upgrade dash or just install tach in the vacant hole next to speedo. Thanks again for your help

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
To upgrade the dash you need a rally cluster ($350-500) and a different wiring harness/adapter section. You can install a factory repro tach in the blank housing, or leave it as--is and install a Sun or other period correct tach on the steering column. Column mounted tachometers were common back in the day, and work just fine. (actually more accurate than the original in-dash tach.

·
Registered
417 Posts
To upgrade the dash you need a rally cluster ($350-500) and a different wiring harness/adapter section. You can install a factory repro tach in the blank housing, or leave it as--is and install a Sun or other period correct tach on the steering column. Column mounted tachometers were common back in the day, and work just fine. (actually more accurate than the original in-dash tach.
So the wife did nothing but complain about the $30 tach mounted on my steering column since the factory dash tach was not working. So $225 later, my factory tach is rebuilt and just got it all back together. While I was at it, spent another $100 to have the factory temp gauge fixed. I will need to remind the wife of this when she complains about the money I spend on the car... :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts