Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might not go with LTs, and the cam I might go with will probably be milder than I first thought...one that won't exceed the lift limit for my stock valve springs; I just want to limit the cam swap to a cam swap ...no valve train work at the same time. I've noticed that the power doesn't seem up to snuff when I get near 5k rpms. I figure a better cam and tune are needed.

Back to the HP gains...anybody have the slightest notion of what gains I can expect (at the wheels) by just doing this cam swap?

Thanks.

b.t.w. :willy: :( :eek: :shutme I've got a wisdom tooth that's nearly been takin' my head off!
I wouldn't wish this on even a Mustang owner.:eek:

·
Registered
700 Posts
It really depends on the cam specs. If you could give us some specs, we might be able to give you an estimate. What is a mild cam to you may be pretty wild to someone else. :)
400 RWHP isn't beyond the realm of possibilities from a cam by any means.
If you have an 05, headers may be a better investment than the catback, since the 05 has a fairly low-restriction exhaust anyway. Both cat-back and headers would be best.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
baron_iv said:
It really depends on the cam specs. If you could give us some specs, we might be able to give you an estimate. What is a mild cam to you may be pretty wild to someone else. :)
400 RWHP isn't beyond the realm of possibilities from a cam by any means.
If you have an 05, headers may be a better investment than the catback, since the 05 has a fairly low-restriction exhaust anyway. Both cat-back and headers would be best.
I really don't know the specs yet. I don't know how mild or wild it will be. My only stipulation is that the lift comes in just under what the stock valve springs can handle. I really don't want to turn the cam swap job into a rebuilding of the valve train job also. I'd like for it to have a pretty sweet, thumpy idle...so I really don't know what those overlap specs should be either...probably just pretty typical, I'd imagine.

I wish I would have kept the stock catback and gone with LTs instead, but since I've already got the catback I probably won't get the LTs...the sound is perfect, so I don't want to do anything else to the exhaust right now.

And when I get it tuned the guy I'll use guarantees around 16 hp on stock LS2s. My only other performance mod is the CAI.

·
Registered
172 Posts
baron_iv said:
I agree. I am just adding headers with high flow cat converters. I'm curious to hear what the stock exhaust will sound like as a result. Also the Lingenfelter cai. And a dyno tune. In about four weeks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.