Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Round Tuit on doing the Throttle Body Bypass finally perculated to the top this afternoon. After getting under the hood to clean the engine from the beach sand that infiltrated a couple of weeks ago, I decided to go ahead and do the mod. Pretty easy, once I committed to taking off the power steering bracket so I could get at the hose fitting on the engine side. I took the hose running from the TB to the radiator, trimmed off about 1" and plugged it into the engine side. I'll go back and put vacumn caps on both sides of the TB later when it has had a chance to totally drain out and dry. The engine also got cleaned up and shiny.

I must seriously consider getting 275 rear tires now to accomodate the 100 rwhp I am expecting from this mod! :cheers

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It involves making a bypass for heated coolant (hows that for an oxymoron) around the throttle body. GM designed the throttle body to get the heated coolant so that the throttle body wouldn't ice up in sub zero weather. Heating the TB results in a hotter intake air temperature which results in slightly less horse power.
I wish this mod gave 100 rwhp: it actually only gives 3 or so. But, its free horsepower; 3 more than you had, anyway. The vast majority of places in the US don't have to worry about such low temps and even in those places the risk of TB icing is slight.

The mod is pretty easy. There are two rubber hoses coming out of the bottom sides of the TB: the one on the drivers side goes to a metal pipe coming of the engine heads, the one on the passenger side of the TB goes to the radiator. Essentially, you take the rubber hose from the passenger side of the TB and put it on the metal pipe coming from the engine (you also have to remove the short hose from the metal pipe to the drivers side of the TB). This takes the TB out of the coolant loop. As stated in the first post, you have to trim the radiator side hose a little because its too long when run to metal pipe. After a while (few days) the coolant path in the TB will have dried out and then you can put vacumn caps on the TB where the hoses had attached, to keep dirt out.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Thanks for the info -- I did some research too on this subject and found that the TB icing can occur at -30 to -60. Hmm, I don't think it will get that cold where I live.

I looked on my car and I think that the TB Anti-Freeze/Coolant is only on the LS1 as I cannot find it on my LS2.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm pretty sure that it is on the LS-2. I seem to remember an '05 owner confirming it. My Z06 with the Throttle by wire throttle body (same as LS-2) has it.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
diverdan said:
I'm pretty sure that it is on the LS-2. I seem to remember an '05 owner confirming it. My Z06 with the Throttle by wire throttle body (same as LS-2) has it.
I can't find any coolant lines into or out of my throttle body.

I thought you meant the clean and shiny engine got you 100 rwhp, which is believable. The throttle body bypass and a 100rwhp definately isn't. LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts