Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over at my buddies body shop showing off the new 12 bolt in my 66 GTO. He's thinking of buying one from the same place I did (Home). ----highly recommended BTW
We get to chatting cars, he mentions someone he knows with a 1966 GTO with a factory 421. Off the top of my head, my reaction is "1966=389" . He swears it's factory. Says it has 421 emblems on the fenders.
So, I'm on lockdown, I'm poking around the internet and I see little tidbits of stories where they tried 421s in 1966, but only prototypes where made. Some think they were grabbed up by high ranking folks within the company, so maybe they're out there?
I fix cars for a living, so I look up parts all day.
If I go to most of my vendor's catalogs, I see 6.9L as a choice for engine size in 1966.
So what is the story? Anybody know for sure? Got a lead?

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Of course Royal put these engines in at the dealership named bobcat,heard rumors too about these,but gm rules until 70 kept them under 400 ci. Never made sense because putting 427in a corvette and all

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Also remember the famous test of Ferrari GTO against our GTO had the 421 installed for that comparison 👍

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Over at my buddies body shop showing off the new 12 bolt in my 66 GTO. He's thinking of buying one from the same place I did (Home). ----highly recommended BTW
We get to chatting cars, he mentions someone he knows with a 1966 GTO with a factory 421. Off the top of my head, my reaction is "1966=389" . He swears it's factory. Says it has 421 emblems on the fenders.
So, I'm on lockdown, I'm poking around the internet and I see little tidbits of stories where they tried 421s in 1966, but only prototypes where made. Some think they were grabbed up by high ranking folks within the company, so maybe they're out there?
I fix cars for a living, so I look up parts all day.
If I go to most of my vendor's catalogs, I see 6.9L as a choice for engine size in 1966.
So what is the story? Anybody know for sure? Got a lead?
I don't know how searchable the PHS database is, but would they be able to search for the existence of such cars with their data?

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
There was never one from the factory. Even the one in the '64 for the test with the Ferarri was modified by the Pontiac Engineering department.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
On the '64 I should say that the Engineering department had a hand in it. I don't remember for sure if is was first built with a 389. I'd ask Jim Wangers, but his memory is not so good anymore.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
I just went back through JW's book. The car was initially built with a 389, and then upgraded to a 421. Jim hasn't owned the car for a very long time. I think he sold or gave it away in '65 or '66. The current owner is Tenney Fairchild. Tenney has had it fully restored, and he is a GREAT caretaker for the car.,

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
I finally found the picture I was looking for. We all met at Musso and Frank's in Hollywood for lunch (thanks Tenney). From the left are Dave Anderson, myself, Jim Wangers, Tenney Fairchild and Gordon Wangers (Jim's nephew). While we were waiting for everyone. Jim got up for some reason, and it looked like it would make a good picture. Hence the one with Jim by himself.

IMG_20180208_113800 crop.jpg IMG_20180208_114617.jpg IMG_20180208_131956.jpg

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Back to the 66 the only thing I’m reading on the 421 situation is that Royal did set up cars for the geeto drag racing program

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
I finally found the picture I was looking for. We all met at Musso and Frank's in Hollywood for lunch (thanks Tenney). From the left are Dave Anderson, myself, Jim Wangers, Tenney Fairchild and Gordon Wangers (Jim's nephew). While we were waiting for everyone. Jim got up for some reason, and it looked like it would make a good picture. Hence the one with Jim by himself.

View attachment 135038 View attachment 135039 View attachment 135040
I wished I was their eating lol

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
That is something Taylor knowing him personally 👍
Jim has been a good friend for about 30 years. I've had the chance to spend hours at a time talking (listening) to him, and it was never a dull moment. I always learned something new. Now I fear I'm forgetting a lot of it. Getting to know him allowed me to meet people I would not have been able to do on my own. They were great times. He also considered himself a member of our local San Diego Pontiac club, so I took him to most of our Christmas parties. He's now in a memory car facility about 5 miles from my house. The attached pictures were at his 93rd birthday party last June at that facility. My sign painter friend (who died in March) made the big birthday card.

P1010379.JPG P1010381.JPG P1010384.JPG P1010385.JPG P1010389.JPG P1010392.JPG

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Your right Taylor that engine was not optioned for the goat last year for the 389 and tri power

·
Registered
912 Posts
(y)The "RINGER" as seen at the 2014 GM Nationals.
We were displayed right behind it all weekend and were able to take a very close look at it.
Scott did an amazing job on Tenny's car.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
We used to have a New Years get together when Art Fitzpatrick (Fitz) was a live. Tenney had his car brought down on a flat bed, and then he unloaded it. Before the day was over he asked if I wanted to ride in it. The answer was obvious. It was a fun ride. I still haven't had a chance to take him out in mine.

2009-0111 005 small.jpg

1 - 20 of 48 Posts