Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was wandering what you guys think... i hate going to test drive a car and it seems a clueless salesman always wants to go with me... i had one clown tell me that some 05's still have the 5.7 350hp engine in them... i told him up front im not here to buy but i need to test drive a gto to make a decision wether or not to sell my 87 turbo t (mint) and then return to buy one at a later date if i liked it, next thing i know were back at the dealership and hes pulling out worksheets and asking for my ss # then hes asking for my keys to inspect my sonoma for trade in value... anyways should i feel i can test drive a car withoutr a salesman, seems i cant concentrate on the car when i feel i have to carry a conversation with the clown sitting next to me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I test drove a Saab 9-2x Aero last August without a sales person. I don't know if it is insurance or what, but most new car dealerships I have been to make a salesperson go with you. I gurantee you had one been with me when I drove that 9-2x he probably would have shat himself.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I bought my GTO without a test drive. The dealer said the car will have 5 miles on it. he said he was not going to let me or anyone else hot rod a new muscle car.

My buddy took a silver Audi TT for a 40 mile test drive with a salesman, pounded the crap out of the car. then came in signed some papers and said he wanted the black one. the salesman had a fit!

I dont blame the salesman.

On the other hand, the acura dealer threw my wife and me the keys to a 42k RL while I left my legend coupe door open for him to check out the trade. I had keys to both cars.

·
Registered
21 Posts
take a friend with you. I took a friend with me to test drive an '04 GTO back in Oct. The salesman didnt feel like sitting in the back seat getting tossed around during the event. He tossed me the keys and said have fun. I think we will go back and see him soon for the '05 test.. haha :D

·
Registered
233 Posts
I bought mine the day before thanksgiving. I had my wife with me. Saleswoman did not go.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Josh D said:
We don't test drive them here until we know your serious credit checked, trade in appraised and so on for the reason stated above miles, and ragging on a new engine.
No offense, but if someone asked to check my credit before I even drove the car, that would be the last time they saw me.

I've not had trouble test-driving the cars. But then again, I'm well past the age of majority. And...I don't beat on machinery that isn't mine. Period.

·
Registered
27 Posts
can't drive an evo

forgive me brothers and sisters, I once was lost and wanted to drive a Mitsu
Evo. The salesman flat out said no, we don't allow that, if you want to drive it ya gotta buy it. Now, I am 33, went with my wife to the dealership and was even dressed respectably (not that it should matter, when I worked for Chevy I sold a Tracker to a dirtbag teenager that paid $14k IN CASH that he said he inherited. Whatever.). I left the dealership with a profound hatred of all things Mitsu and swore I would never darken their doorstep again. Fast forward to last year, I went to test drive the goat. The salesman hemmed and hawed (this is at a time when we were literally the only 2 people in the dealership) but let us take one out with him. Later when I was ready to buy, the sales manager told the salesman to let me drive whatever I wanted. I bought the car from them. Some dealers gotta realize its just a car, we ain't gonna buy it if we can't drive it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.